Motorists who drive the wrong way down a road may put those who drive in the proper direction in danger. Wrong-way motorists may directly cause head-on collisions, or may have caused you to swerve or make another maneuver that resulted in you or a loved one being injured.
The motorist who drove in the wrong direction could be one of multiple parties responsible for your accident-related losses. Hiring an Austin wrong-way accident lawyer could be a step towards you obtaining any compensation that you deserve.
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878 for a free consultation about how we may help you after a wrong-way accident in Austin.
THE RULES OF THE ROAD MATTER
The rules that govern the roads of Austin are not created thoughtlessly, and they are not optional. Traffic signals, lane markers, and wrong-way signs are among the traffic indicators that every driver in Austin must follow, as disobeying them could result in severe injury.
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) provides a database of the road signs that you might find on any given road in Texas. All motorists must be able to recognize wrong-way signs, and refrain from driving in the wrong direction down any roadway in Austin. The consequences of driving the wrong way may be a head-on collision, which can result in serious injury or death.
THE CONSEQUENCES OF HEAD-ON COLLISIONS
KVUE-Austin (a local ABC affiliate) reported on an accident in July 2020 in which two victims died because a wrong-way driver caused a head-on collision on Interstate 35. This tragic consequence illustrates the extreme danger of driving the wrong way on any roadway, and especially on roads where speed limits are relatively high.
The Insurance Information Institute (III) notes that head-on collisions accounted for approximately 10% of fatal traffic accidents in 2017. These types of collisions may have a disproportionately high rate of injury and death because:
- The momentum of two vehicles traveling in opposite directions and stopping suddenly may cause significant harm to your body
- Such a sudden stop in momentum could cause your head to thrash violently forward and backwards
- Those without seatbelts, or those whose seatbelts do not function properly, may be thrown out of the vehicle or into the windshield
The impact caused by a head-on collision could be significantly greater than many or most other types of accidents. Therefore, the injuries that you or your loved one may have suffered in a wrong-way accident may be severe.
You may hire an Austin wrong-way accident lawyer to help you seek justice after a collision, whether it is head-on or of another sort. Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878 for a free consultation about how we may help you pursue compensation after an accident in Austin.
THE ROLE OF A LAWYER AFTER YOUR ACCIDENT
It may cost you nothing to hire a lawyer after your accident. Said lawyer may handle a variety of important duties pertaining to your lawsuit. The American Bar Association (ABA) explains that personal injury lawyers may work on a contingency-fee basis, which generally means that:
- You will not have to pay your lawyer upfront
- Your lawyer will not receive any compensation from your own pocket
- You and your lawyer will agree to them receiving a percentage of any winnings that you secure as a result of their services
- Your lawyer will only receive compensation for their services if you secure a settlement or judgement
This contingency-fee structure may apply regardless of whether your lawyer is handling an insurance claim, lawsuit, or some combination of both for you. Not having to pay your lawyer upfront may lower the barriers to accessing legal representation.
A LAWYER WILL COMPLETE AN INSURANCE CLAIM OR LAWSUIT
The circumstances of each wrong-way accident must be considered on an individual basis. The facts of your accident may determine whether an insurance claim or lawsuit may be your first option for seeking compensation.
A lawyer can advise you on whether they believe an insurance claim or lawsuit is most appropriate. They may advise that you initiate an insurance claim while leaving open the option of a lawsuit. You may even initiate both types of action against different at-fault parties.
Your lawyer may take several steps to advance your claim or lawsuit, including:
- Gathering all available facts related to your wrong-way accident
- Collecting and organizing evidence related to your accident
- Collecting witness testimony
- Hiring experts to recreate your accident or testify to specific aspects of your case
- File any necessary reports and collect copies of any existing reports
- File your lawsuit or claim
- Take all steps required to move your lawsuit or claim to the settlement stage
Certain lawsuits may require a trial in order to achieve a resolution. Your lawyer will be ready to take your case through the trial phase, if this occurs during your case. Having a lawyer can also ensure that your rights are protected, whether from insurance companies, other lawyers, or any other party who may threaten your case.
The losses that you could collect may depend on whether you are bringing an insurance claim or lawsuit. Some losses that you may receive could include:
- Income lost due to injury
- Pain and suffering
- The cost of your accident-related medical care
- Changes to your physical appearance
- The cost of temporary transportation
- Any other losses that have come from your wrong-way accident
Motorists who do not obey the rules of the road may be held accountable for the losses they have caused you or your loved one.
CALL LONCAR LYON JENKINS TODAY
Calling Loncar Lyon Jenkins means calling in the Strong Arm to take over your case for compensation. Do not wait to call us, as you may have a limited period to pursue an insurance claim or lawsuit in Austin.
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878 for more information about how hiring an Austin wrong-way accident lawyer could be in your interests.