If you lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, a Brownsville wrongful death lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins wants to help. With our guidance, you can figure out the best way of pursuing compensation from the at-fault party without putting undue stress on your shoulders.
On behalf of our entire team, we are sorry for your loss. Please know that our attorneys have helped thousands of clients and would be more than honored to put our experience to work for you.
Can Wrongful Death Victims Sue for Compensation?
When someone suffers preventable, catastrophic injuries that lead to death, their loved ones have a legal right to sue the liable party for compensation. There are, however, certain limitations on these rights, such as Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, which gives you just two years from the date of death to take legal action.
The types of compensation you can ask for fall into two main categories: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages compensate victims for the financial distress they or their deceased loved one experienced because of the accident. Examples include:
- Medical bills: If your loved one initially survived the injury and sought help from any type of medical professional, and they never received reimbursement for those expenses, you can request reimbursement for their medical expenses.
- Loss of financial support: If you depended on your loved one’s wages to pay the bills, we can calculate how much they would have earned over their lifetime and how much of their earnings would have gone to you. We can then ask the liable party to pay that amount.
- Funeral expenses: If you paid for your loved one’s funeral or any other end-of-life expense (e.g., estate settlement), you can include that in your lawsuit.
Non-economic damages compensate victims for the physical and psychological suffering their loved one experienced prior to death, as well as their own grief and bereavement. Examples include:
- Pain and suffering: If your loved one survived the accident long enough to feel physical or psychological anguish, fear, or distress, we can help you figure out how much to seek in compensation. If you are dealing with pain and suffering due to your loss, we will valuate this damage as well.
- Reduced quality of life: In the time between the accident and their passing, your loved one was unable to enjoy life to the fullest due to pain, loss of independence, or other factors. If you are experiencing a reduced quality of life due to your loss, this will also be valuated.
- Loss of companionship: Your loved one provided guidance and affection to you and everyone else in the family. Learning to live without them is a terrible burden you should never have had to face.
For a free legal consultation with a Wrongful Death lawyer serving Brownsville, call 877-239-4878
What Can a Wrongful Death Lawyer From Our Firm Do?
Under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 71.002(b), you may sue a person for wrongful death “if the injury was caused by the person’s or his agent’s or servant’s wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or default.” To prove that your case meets this standard, Loncar Lyon Jenkins can:
We know how and where to search for evidence that supports all aspects of your case, including:
- The police report, which can establish what happened and who was there at the time of the accident
- Medical records, which prove the severity of your loved one’s injuries
- Eyewitness statements, which can corroborate police reports and your own memories
- Audiovisual footage, which may show the accident as it happened or the events leading up to the accident
By analyzing this and other evidence, we can tell you who to sue, how much to ask for, and what may be the best way of handling your case.
Speak to the Liable Party
The liable party may be reluctant to admit fault, especially if their lawyer or insurer has advised them to keep quiet. Also, if you speak to anyone from the defense’s team by yourself, they may take advantage of your grief and legal inexperience to:
- Manipulate you into “admitting” your loved one contributed to or was solely responsible for their own injuries
- Offer you a smaller settlement than you need and deserve
- Refuse to negotiate, leaving you with the option of taking their lowball settlement or walking away with nothing
Instead of putting yourself through such stressful interactions, you can allow us to protect your rights by representing you at all meetings with the liable party. We can show them the evidence we have collected and dispute any allegations they make against you or your loved one.
Present Your Case in Court
If, for any reason, it is impossible to settle your case out of court, we can go to trial. This would mean we:
- Present your case before a judge and jury
- File legal paperwork, including trial exhibits and legal briefs
- Question witnesses for the prosecution and cross-examine witnesses for the defense
The prospect of going to court is a daunting one for many. With our team on the case, this process becomes much easier for you. You would not have to speak on your own behalf or worry about following the many rules and procedures that govern the courtroom—and that could jeopardize your case if you fail to follow them.
Brownsville Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 877-239-4878
What Wrongful Death Cases Do We Take?
A Brownsville wrongful death lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins can represent you regardless of the type of accident you are suing over. We serve Brownsville clients who have experienced:
- Car accidents
- Other motor vehicle accidents
- Premises liability accidents, including slips and falls
- Injuries from faulty products
- Construction accidents
- Dog bites
Our team has experience dealing with all these accidents and many others. As such, we know what evidence to look for, what damages to seek, and how to seek those damages from the at-fault party or parties.
Contact our Brownsville Wrongful Death Attorneys today
Our Brownsville Legal Team Can Help
Was your loved one the victim of someone else’s careless behavior in Cameron County? Call in the Strong Arm. A wrongful death lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins can ensure your Brownsville case is handled with all due speed, efficiency, and compassion. Let us provide you with a free case evaluation that informs you of your options today.
Call or text 877-239-4878 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form