Street racing is one of the most dangerous activities a person can participate in. Many people sympathize with street racing culture but underestimate the risks of driving recklessly on our public highways and roads. If you lost a family member to street racing or were hurt by a street racer, there are laws in place to help you seek financial remedies. A Dallas street racing accident lawyer at Loncar Lyon Jenkins could act as your legal representative.
A street racing accident is not necessarily your fault, and the law is built to protect you. Victims have a foundation of legal rights that have been augmented in recent years. In cases where a street racer is caught, the reckless driver can be charged criminally and possibly face jail time and a license suspension. Onlookers face citations from police, and a member of our team can help you hold the at-fault party liable. We can explore the legal options available to you to recover compensatory damages.
What Are Dallas Street Racing Accidents Worth?
Street racing accidents are Dallas personal injury cases. This catch-all legal term can cover a range of cases, from medical malpractice to auto accidents.
Within the category of street racing accidents, there is also variability. Some are hit-and-run cases, while others can result in wrongful death. This variability means there’s no way to assign an average value to street racing accident settlements.
One factor remains consistent with these kinds of car accidents, though. Across all street racing accidents, the severity of the following damages will affect your settlement amount:
- Large medical expenses, like surgery or other life-saving treatment
- The inability to earn present and future income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of quality of life
- Continued treatment, like physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Assistive device costs, like wheelchairs or home adaptations
- Property damage
Other accident lawsuit damages may be included in the valuation of your settlement. Our Dallas car accident lawyers can help you estimate the value of your injury case and seek maximum compensation from the negligent driver. We will review your damages to determine the proper financial amount that can help you meet your post-accident needs.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
How Our Dallas Street Racing Injury Attorney Can Help You
Texas Transportation Code § 545.420 stipulates that street racing of any kind is illegal. Street racing is a dangerous practice that ends innocent lives and not just those of the criminals participating. Loncar Lyon Jenkins’ personal injury lawyers know how to bring street racing cases to court and prove the elements of the law before a jury. If the facts of your case are strong enough, we can pursue monetary relief at no cost to you.
There are many ways the Dallas street racing accident lawyers at our law firm can help injured clients recover financial damages and non-economic damages, such as:
- Promptly collecting any relevant piece of relevant evidence (e.g., car accident reports from law enforcement, medical records, traffic cam footage, photos and videos from the accident scene)
- Conducting witness discovery and testimony management
- Ensuring the accuracy of police reports and medical records
- Discerning which law(s) may have been violated
- Determining the correct party or parties to sue
- Filing claims with relevant insurers
- Issuing demand letters with insurers
- Filing necessary legal court papers
- Developing legal strategy and execution
These are just some of the most common ways clients receive benefits from our team.
What If the Liable Party Claims I’m Responsible for the Dallas Street Racing Accident?
During your legal or insurance proceedings, the at-fault party may claim you were partially responsible for the accident. If this occurs, don’t fret.
Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code Chapter 33 provides a provision for proportionate responsibility in car accidents. Assuming you are not more than 50% responsible for the accident, you can still receive compensation.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
Why Choose a Dallas Street Racing Accident Attorney from Loncar Lyon Jenkins?
Our firm has been in business since 1988. Since our inception, we’ve grown to represent several thousand clients a year. This breadth of experience means we have the tools necessary to represent the victims of street racing accidents.
As a firm, we’re committed to supporting communities throughout Texas, Dallas included. To encourage safer driving practices, we offer a $2,500 yearly scholarship to students who produce a distracted driving PSA video.
This commitment to community extends into our legal practice as well. Our legal representation has produced thousands of satisfied clients. Read their testimonials below:
- “I truly enjoyed working with Loncar and Associates! They were professional, responsive, and definitely got the ball rolling with my case when my insurance continued to drag their feet. I was able to receive physical therapy, an MRI and ex-ray at no cost thanks to Loncar. I was also very pleased with the outcome of my case.” – Nella D.
- “My experience from start to finish was nothing but great. Mrs. Hernandez was a key person in my case, she was very thoughtful, helpful and helped me get what I needed. I would definitely recommend them for all your legal needs!” Linda S.
- From the initial consultation to the end of case process, the team helped me and understood the situation. They quickly assisted by resolving my case within an allowable timeframe. They kept me informed of every step in the process and grateful to them for winning my case. Thank you again for your help and everything you do. – Dora Galvan-Contreras
We Represent Dallas Wrongful Death Street Racing Cases
Wrongful deaths are a potential consequence of street racing accidents. Our attorneys can support those struggling with the loss of a loved one.
Like street racing accident injury cases, wrongful death cases have corresponding financial losses and other damages that beneficiaries could claim, such as:
- Funeral and burial expenses.
- Pain and suffering a loved one suffered before their passing.
- Lost earning capacity of the decedent
- Loss of consortium, a legal term that accounts for the loss of a close relationship.
- Medical expenses associated with your loved one’s accident.
- Loss of inheritance
Texas law has a specific definition of wrongful death. Per Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 71.002(b), the loss of your loved one must have stemmed from the “wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness” of the liable party.
For you to win your wrongful death case, our Dallas wrongful death lawyers must demonstrate that the above negligence resulted in the loss of your loved one. Fortunately, neglect and carelessness are two hallmarks of street racing.
The Allure of Mortal Danger for Street Racers in Dallas
Part of the risk in street racing is in how people are recruited from a young age to take part in reckless behavior on shared public roads. Street racing was popularized primarily by movies such as “The Fast and the Furious” and “Rebel Without a Cause,” per this Arizona State University study on street racing in the United States.
These films starred Paul Walker and James Dean, respectively, both of whom were later killed at high speeds in a fancy Porsche sports car on public roads. The fact that street racing culture was made popular by men who were killed at speed seems to only have added to the allure. But consent is removed when innocent individuals are hurt and killed, which happens far too often in the United States, Texas, and Dallas especially.
Dangers of Street Racing
Texas law prohibits all forms of street racing. This includes speed racing, drag racing, and drifting, a technique drivers use to purposely oversteer vehicles while maneuvering them to skid sideways and perform complex turns. If any injuries occur during a race, offenders can face felony criminal charges, punishable with prison time and fines.
Unfortunately, street racers all too often tragically take the life of innocent individuals and drive away. Texas Revised Transportation Code § 550.022 states that drivers must stop and get out if they cause damage to property or person. Depending on the damage caused, hit and run can be a felony crime.
Aside from hit-and-run accidents, there are many other illegal symptoms of street racing that put innocent lives at risk. Operating outside the law, street racing culture becomes a hotbed of illegal activity and danger. Street races often see other unlawful practices such as:
- Driving while intoxicated (DWI)
- Auto theft
- Gang-related activity
- Public order violations (e.g., public intoxication or urination, disturbing the peace, noise ordinance violations)
- Blocking traffic
- Driving recklessly (e.g., doing donuts in an intersection, power-sliding, or drifting across traffic lanes)
Dallas street races sometimes draw large crowds, and this alone can create a disturbance in a neighborhood’s normal function. Traffic is often blocked for street drag races, with the intention of also impeding police response time. However, this also has the side effect of blocking ambulances, fire trucks, and other emergency response personnel. It does not stretch the imagination to see why street racing, speed, and reckless driving are leading causes of mortality on the roads in Texas and elsewhere.
Contact the Office of a Dallas Street Racing Attorney to Learn More About Your Rights Today
The statute of limitations for civil injury is two years in Texas, Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16. In other words, a lawsuit would be invalidated in Texas if it claimed damages for an injury that occurred more than two years in the past. This rule is enough to give many claimants cause to act quickly if they are injured due to the fault of another.
In many cases of street racing accidents in Dallas, injuries occur. Victims have often invested thousands of dollars into their medical insurance copays before they receive compensation from a lawsuit against an at-fault party. Eliminating this financial burden as fast as possible is typically the primary motivating factor behind people who seek legal remedies.
Serious injuries deserve a person’s full-time attention in the healing process. The sooner you act, the sooner your Dallas street racing accident lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins can get started helping you. We operate on a contingency basis and do not take a fee if you do not collect compensation for your damages. Call us today to get started.