One of the most severe car crash injuries is a spinal cord injury. Sports and slip and fall injuries can also cause severe spinal cord injuries and related consequences.
Across Texas, many victims deal with spinal cord injuries due to negligence. These victims may be left partially or fully paralyzed, or living with pain for the rest of their lives. A Dallas spinal cord injury lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins can help you understand your legal options and determine the best way forward.
Kinds of Spinal Cord Injuries That Could Entitle You to Damages
Victims of spinal cord injuries can lose muscular and even mental functionalities. Types of paralysis may include:
- Quadriplegia, inability to move limbs below the neck
- Paraplegia, one who is incapable of moving the legs
Victims may deal with long-term effects such as changes in mood, chronic pain, and paralysis. Disease, infection, aging, and other natural causes can cause spinal cord injuries. However, in many cases, spinal cord injuries are purely accidents and unexpected. Spinal cord injuries typically happen in one of a few ways, including:
- Automobile or motorcycle accidents
- Trips, slips, and falls
- Workplace accidents (particularly in construction and roofing)
- Sport accidents
- Violence, including assault and personal injury
For a free legal consultation with a spinal cord injury lawyer serving Dallas, call 877-239-4878
How Are Spinal Cord Injuries Treated?
Victims of spinal cord injuries receive treatment to help them manage and cope with their pain. Treatments include a variety of options, including:
- Surgery (and in many cases, more than one)
Each of the treatments listed above can be extremely expensive. The cost of treatment is yet another difficulty for victims to deal with, in addition to the life-altering injury. Filing a lawsuit against the negligent party can help recover the compensation to pay for this medical treatment.
Dallas Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me 877-239-4878
How Long You Have To File a Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuit in Texas
Consider the statute of limitations when filing a lawsuit. A statute of limitations is a time limit to file your lawsuit. For both personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits in Texas, the statute of limitations is two years under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003. Prompt action can help you preserve evidence and prove your case. There are two potential exceptions to the statute of limitations:
- If you were injured before your 18th birthday, you have two years from your 18th birthday to file a lawsuit.
- If a person was injured and considered mentally incompetent, the statute would not begin until the victim is considered mentally competent.
It’s best to check with a Dallas lawyer to confirm the relevant timeline. This way, you get the best help you need within the proper time frame. If you fail to meet the deadline, your spinal cord injury case will automatically be dismissed.
Contact our Dallas Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys today
How Can Our Dallas Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Help?
Our lawyers at Loncar Lyon Jenkins can help you through this difficult time. We understand that this is a sensitive and traumatic situation and will handle it with care. Our firm wants to make things as simple as possible for you. We can:
- Determine the extent of your injuries using medical reports and the accident report
- Calculate the cost of damages you incurred (and may incur) in the future
- Identify the negligent party, if it is not evident from the beginning of the case
- Accumulate evidence to prove your case
- Communicate with insurance companies (and the other party) on your behalf
- Represent you during negations and in court if necessary
This is just a small sampling of the many things that our firm can do to help get you the compensation you need.
Our firm works on a contingency-fee basis. You will not have to pay us anything unless we win or settle your case. We want our clients to seek legal aid despite their current financial situation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Can a Spinal Cord Injury Victim Claim?
A spinal cord injury victim can claim several damages that occur throughout their injury. Even though each case is different, in the past, our clients have recovered damages for the following:
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Lost wages (inability to work)
- Lost of expected income in the future (inability to perform duties to your full ability)
- Pain and suffering (emotional and mental strain)
- Loss of consortium or relationship (if your loved one died from their spinal cord injury)
- Cost of assistive devices (wheelchairs, ramps)
- Property damage (such as a vehicle if you were injured in a car accident)
Calculating these damages on your own can be complicated. A Dallas lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins can help determine the economic and non-economic costs. Economic costs are easy to calculate and can be proven with bills and receipts. Non-economic costs are harder to prove, but just as important.
Contact Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today
Loncar Lyon Jenkins wants to support you in your time of need. Call today to get a free case review. Our team can help you understand the process of filing a legal claim and what your next steps should be. Get a professional team of lawyers on your side to fight for the compensation you need following your Dallas spinal cord injury.