If you get hurt on someone else’s property in Denton, you may be able to seek compensation under Texas’ premises liability laws. The law can be complex, as there are limitations on landowner liability, but you have a right to be compensated if someone else’s negligence caused your injuries.
A Denton premises liability lawyer at Loncar Lyon Jenkins can lead your case and help you hold the property owner responsible. We can review your situation and advise you of the legal recourse you have. You can start with a free case review today. If we take your case, you won’t have to pay us any upfront fees or costs. We get paid only after we recover compensation for you.
What Is Premises Liability?
Premises liability refers to a property owner’s responsibility to keep their property safe. Property owners, lessees, or occupants may be held liable for injuries that occur on their property if their negligent or malicious actions caused the injury.
You may be able to seek damages for premises liability for a Denton injury if your accident occurred:
- In someone else’s home
- On a property you rent
- In a government building
- In a restaurant, store, hotel, amusement park, or another private property that the public uses
Our Denton premises liability lawyer can review the circumstances in your situation and advise you further on your next steps.
For a free legal consultation with a Premises Liability lawyer serving Denton, call 877-239-4878
Proving Fault in a Denton Premises Liability Claim
In order to establish that the property owner or occupant owes you for the damages you sustained on their property, you must prove:
- The property owner or occupant had a duty of care to ensure your safety.
- The property owner violated their duty of care.
- You suffered damages as a direct result of this violation.
Texas law strictly limits the liability of owners for land used for recreational activities and agrotourism because these activities can be inherently risky. Such activities include:
- Hunting and fishing
- Boating, swimming, and water sports
- Camping, picnicking, and hiking
- Off-road driving
- Mountain biking
- Rock climbing
- Disc golf
While the owner is not generally liable for injuries incurred as a result of the above activities, they may still be held accountable if they were guilty of gross negligence or malicious actions that resulted in an injury.
Denton Premises Liability Lawyer Near Me 877-239-4878
How Our Lawyer Can Help Your Denton Premises Liability Case
It can be hard to manage a premises liability claim when you are recovering from your accident. We can take care of your case for you while you heal. We will:
- Identify who is legally responsible for your accident
- Assess your damages so that we can accurately value your case
- Handle the insurance company for you and negotiate a settlement on your behalf.
- Represent you at trial if we cannot settle your case
We will seek all recovery you are due and keep you updated on all developments in your Denton case. We are always available to answer your questions and concerns.
Contact our Denton Premises Liability Attorneys today
Damages You Can Seek in a Texas Premises Liability Claim
When you or a loved one suffers injury because of someone’s negligence or malicious actions, you may be able to file a claim for your losses, including:
- Hospital and medical bills
- Medical equipment, medication, and treatment
- Current and future income
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
Under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, you generally have two years to file your lawsuit for premises liability, so reach out to an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Attractive Nuisance Laws in Texas
When premises liability claims involve children, the attractive nuisance doctrine may apply. Attractive nuisance is a common law that holds property owners responsible for children’s injuries if the property owner did not take measures to prevent the intrusion of unaccompanied children onto their property.
Such care may include fencing, guardrails, door locks and other devices that block children from entering hazardous areas like swimming pools, trenches, or construction sites. If the property could attract children, the property owner has a duty of care to keep them from entering the area.
If your child got hurt on someone else’s property while unaccompanied, you may be able to pursue damages in accordance with the attractive nuisance doctrine. Our Denton premises liability lawyer can examine your claim and help you determine how to proceed.
Steps to Take if You Get Hurt on Another Person’s Property in Denton
If a property owner or operator’s negligence injured you on someone else’s property, follow these steps to protect yourself and your legal right for compensation under Texas law:
- Call 911. Your first step is to ensure your safety, so move out of harm’s way and contact 911 for help.
- Take photos of the accident scene. Photographs of the accident scene can help you document the property’s unsafe conditions before the owner can change the scene. If you can’t move after your accident, you can also ask a nearby person to take the photos for you.
- Obtain contact information from witnesses. Our attorney can contact witnesses for their statements that can support your claim.
- Seek medical assistance. See a doctor as soon as possible after the accident and follow their instructions. Your doctor’s records will be integral for your case. Whether you followed their treatment plan for your recovery will be important, too.
- Compile documentation. Get copies of your medical bills, insurance claims, correspondence, and accident reports. Write down your version of events, including dates and times, and include as much detail as possible. This can help your attorney build your case.
When you are at the accident scene, the business owner, property owner, insurance company, or police officer may ask you to make a statement. Companies will often try to reduce their liability by having victims sign an agreement or settlement absolving them of responsibility. Avoid making any statements that can be taken as an admission of fault, and do not sign anything until you speak to an attorney.
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins for Help With Your Denton Premises Liability Claim
The Denton premises liability lawyers at Loncar Lyon Jenkins have extensive experience handling various premises liability claims. With more than 30 years of experience in injury law, we are committed to ensuring that you receive the compensation you deserve for your losses. Contact our legal team today for a free consultation.
Call or text 877-239-4878 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form