Running a red light accounted for 5,835 fatal traffic collisions during an eight-year period, according to a report prepared by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). When a driver prioritizes his or her own needs before the safety of others on the roadway, others may be harmed in the process.
An El Paso running a stop signal accident lawyer from Loncar Associates may be able to help you with your claim if you were harmed in an accident caused by someone running a red light or stop sign. Call us today at (877) 239-4878 to discuss your claim during a free and confidential consultation.
Dangers of Running a Stop Signal
Stop signals, including stop signs, red lights, and pavement markings, are there to protect all motorists and others on the roadway. When a driver fails to stop, he or she can run into a vehicle that is moving forward whose driver is following the law. This can lead to a collision in which both drivers are traveling at high speeds, which can result in traffic fatalities and serious injuries like:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Crushing injuries
Drivers who speed through stop signals may make the situation worse by going even faster. These drivers often know that they were breaking the law and may even try to escape the consequences of the accident by committing the crime of a hit and run. This can lead to delayed medical treatment for the victims.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
Common Reasons People May Run Stop Signals
People may run stop signals for a number of reasons, including:
- They are in a hurry
- They do not want to wait at a light or stop sign
- They believe that no one else is present
- They have done it before and not gotten caught
- They are impaired
- They are distracted
- They do not care
Regardless of the reason for their failure to obey the law, these drivers do not have the right to jeopardize your safety. Our team may be able to help you pursue compensation from negligent drivers. Call (877) 239-4878 today to get started with your free consultation.
Laws in Texas About Stop Signals
According to the Texas Transportation Code Title 7 §544.008, drivers are required to follow these rules:
- Stop at a clearly marked stop line at a solid or flashing red signal. If there is no stop line, stop before entering the crosswalk. If there is no crosswalk, stop at the place nearest the intersecting roadway where you can see approaching traffic.
- Stop at a stop sign by following the same rules as those that apply for red stop signals.
- Stop at a yield sign if safety requires it.
Despite these laws, people break them every day. If you or your loved one was injured, contact us for the help you may need during this trying time.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
Tactics Insurance Adjusters May Try
Even though you know that your accident was caused when another driver ran a red light, insurance companies may still try to deny your claim. Insurance companies stay in business by taking in more money in premiums than paying out in claims, so they train insurance adjusters to deny as many claims as possible and to mitigate losses on the rest. So, even if you were injured and the other driver is legally liable, you still may be confronted by an insurance adjuster who has been taught to prioritize profits over your well-being. This can make it challenging for you to receive the payment you deserve.
Some deceptive tactics that insurance adjusters may try to deny or minimize your claim include:
- Claiming the other driver was only passing through a yellow, not red, light
- Blaming you for the accident
- Getting you to say that you are “fine” or to minimize your injuries
- Arguing that your injuries are not as severe as you claim them to be
- Disputing whether certain medical treatment was necessary
- Disputing whether the time you missed from work was necessary
- Blaming your injuries on a pre-existing condition
- Making a lowball settlement offer
- Delaying the claim on purpose so you accept a lower settlement offer
How Our Personal Injury Team May Be Able to Help
When you are confronting possible challenges to your claim like those discussed above, you may want to work with an El Paso running a stop signal accident lawyer who can potentially help in the following ways:
Before you can collect any compensation related to your accident, you will need to be able to prove the other party was responsible for the accident. Our lawyers may be able to collect and assemble evidence that establishes liability, including:
- The accident report
- Reports from eyewitnesses
- Red light camera footage
- Eyewitness reports
- Physical damage to the vehicles involved in the collision
- Electronic vehicle information
- Cell phone records
Once it is clear that the other driver is legally responsible for the accident, our team can begin assembling your demand package in which you request the insurance company pay you for the full extent of your losses, which may include:
- The cost to repair or replace your vehicle
- Medical expenses you incurred immediately after the accident and those that are reasonably anticipated in the future
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
File a Claim
Our lawyers may be able to file the claim on your behalf and handle all communication with the insurance company while you focus on your health.
Contact Our Team Today for Help
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident caused by another driver running a red light or stop sign, an El Paso running a stop signal accident lawyer from Loncar Associates may be able to help. We offer a free consultation to discuss your legal rights and options. We work on a contingency-fee-basis, so you are not charged any attorney fees unless we secure a settlement or award on your behalf.
Call us today at (877) 239-4878 to get the help you need.