Driving while intoxicated (DWI) is an extremely dangerous activity that is a very real threat to drivers and pedestrians in Texas. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that Texas ranks far above the national average in terms of drunk driving rates, which could mean that drivers in Houston may be more at risk of a drunk driving accident than in other locations across the country.
If you or your loved one was one of the victims of a drunk driver, you may be entitled to representation from a Houston DWI accident lawyer. Call our team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 for more information about how we may assist you in pursuing compensation.
Drunk Drivers Put All Houstonians at Risk
Drunk drivers put other people who occupy the road at risk. They may also:
- Put pedestrians near a road at risk of being struck and killed
- Put family members at risk of losing a loved one in a drunk driving accident
- Put themselves and their family members at risk of losing them in an accident or because of incarceration
People who drive and ride in other vehicles on the road may be at the most imminent risk of being struck and injured or killed by a drunk driver. Headlines are full of Houstonians or visitors harmed by drunk drivers, which includes stories like:
- A mother who died after her husband crashed their vehicle while drunk, which also injured their daughter, as reported by NBC affiliate KPRC-TV Houston
- A pedestrian struck by a drunk driver as they walked near a bus stop in Houston, as reported by ABC 13 Eyewitness News
- A man who died after his vehicle was struck by an intoxicated teenager, as reported by CBS affiliate KHOU 11
Drunk driving is illegal in Texas and could warrant a charge that is a Class B misdemeanor or an array of other, more serious charges as detailed by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC). You may also have the right to pursue compensation in civil court to be paid by the person who harmed you or your loved one while driving under the influence.
For a free legal consultation with a dwi accidents lawyer serving Houston, call 800-777-7777
Numerous Parties May Be Responsible in a DWI Incident
Choosing to drive a vehicle while intoxicated is irresponsible. People who make this choice may be held responsible when caught, especially if they cause an accident resulting in injury or death. They may not be the only responsible party, however.
Closer examination of how a person became intoxicated and how they were permitted to drive (assuming they were not alone at the time they departed in a vehicle) may reveal other responsible parties, such as:
- Anyone who served the person an open container or glass of alcohol once it was clear that they were intoxicated, such as a bartender or owner of a bar
- Any nonparent who provided alcohol to the person who caused your accident if they are a minor
- Anyone who served the person who caused your accident a closed portion of alcohol, such as a liquor store cashier or bartender, if they already appeared intoxicated
A Houston DWI accident lawyer may be able to identify more parties who might be responsible for the accident that caused you or your loved one to be injured. Call our team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 for a free consultation.
Houston DWI Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-777-7777
A DWI Lawsuit Could Be a Straightforward Case of Negligence
There may be a spectrum of personal injury cases when it comes to the strength of any given case. If somebody was proven to be intoxicated at the time of an accident that caused you or your loved one to be injured or killed, you may be looking at a straightforward case of negligence.
A driver who was intoxicated may have put you at a foreseeable risk of harm, as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) notes that alcohol impairs a driver’s capabilities in several ways. If you choose to work with a lawyer, they may:
- Present your case, arguing that the defendant(s) placed you in foreseeable harm’s way in both written and oral formats
- Negotiate a settlement with the attorneys for the defendant if they feel that you have a strong case of their wrongdoing
- Collect evidence to present during settlement negotiations or at trial, should your lawsuit require a trial stage
- Present witness accounts that support your case for awards
- Handle all other legal responsibilities that may be necessary to complete your lawsuit
- Defend your rights throughout their time as your legal representative
Your lawyer may be able to present police reports and other forms of documentation that indicate or prove that the defendant in your case was, in fact, intoxicated at the time of your accident. If you reach a settlement agreement or receive a favorable judgment, your compensation might include coverage for:
- The cost of diagnosing and treating your injuries
- The cost of rehabilitating your injuries
- The cost that you have incurred from missing work and the paychecks you receive from working
- Any future losses that you anticipate, such as lost income
- A diminished quality of life, which may include your pain and suffering
- Any additional losses inflicted upon you by an impaired driver
Recovering from an injury or mourning the death of a loved one can be extremely trying. A lawyer will take on your legal fight so that you can focus on what matters most.
Click to contact our Personal Injury Lawyers today
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today
We take the safety and rights of all of our clients seriously, and we take it personally if an intoxicated driver put your health and life at risk or killed your loved one because of their recklessness. Call our team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 for more information about how a Houston DWI accident lawyer may be able to aid your search for financial justice.