Despite the convenience rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft bring, the presence of rideshare drivers on the roads also represents a significant risk of serious injury. As with any other motorist, rideshare operators may cause motor vehicle collisions that can have lasting or even fatal consequences.
If you suffered an injury in a collision with an Uber or Lyft driver, you might be entitled to monetary compensation. The attorneys of Loncar Lyon Jenkins could review the facts of your accident and guide you on your legal rights moving forward.
Steps to Take After a Rideshare Accident
Whether you were a passenger traveling with a rideshare driver or involved in a collision while driving your own vehicle, the steps you take after a rideshare accident are important. Consider the following steps in the aftermath of a rideshare crash:
- Seek Medical Care. If you suffered injuries in the accident, you should seek medical care right away. Pursuing medical treatment immediately could help you avoid worsening symptoms that would have otherwise been avoidable.
- Call the Police. If your accident results in bodily injuries or serious vehicle damage, call the police right away. Be sure that the police understand one of the vehicles involved was a rideshare driver.
- Review the Police Report. It is not enough to provide the necessary information to the police at the scene of the crash. You should also obtain a copy of the police report and review it for accuracy.
- Contact the Rideshare Company. If you were a passenger of the rideshare driver, you can inform them of the accident by using their app. If you were in another vehicle, both Uber and Lyft provide online forms to report accidents.
- Document the Accident Scene. If possible, take photos of both vehicles at the scene of the crash. It is also vital that you identify any independent witnesses to the accident and obtain their contact information.
Out of all the steps that you take after a rideshare accident, seeking legal counsel could be the most important. An Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer with our firm could help you build your claim for the compensation you deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a uber and lyft rideshare accidents lawyer serving Irving, call 800-777-7777
Pursuing a Claim Against the Rideshare Company
Unfortunately, you do not have the ability to file a lawsuit directly against Uber or Lyft after an accident. The law considers drivers for rideshare companies as independent contractors as opposed to employees. For that reason, it is not possible to pursue direct legal action against the rideshare companies.
That does not mean you cannot hold them accountable, however. Each rideshare company is required to carry liability insurance for its drivers. However, the amount of insurance coverage that could be available for a rideshare accident can vary depending on the circumstances.
- When the Rideshare Driver is Transporting a Rider. There is substantial insurance coverage in cases when the rideshare driver is transporting a passenger. Uber and Lyft provide up to $1 million in liability coverage in these cases.
- When the Rideshare Driver is Seeking a Rider. Insurance coverage is available through Uber and Lyft in cases where the driver is seeking a ride but has not yet picked one up. The maximum benefits in this situation are much lower, however.
- When the Rideshare App is not Active. Drivers that are not actively using Uber or Lyft are not entitled to insurance coverage if they are in an accident. They should have their own liability insurance coverage for their personal vehicle.
Irving Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-777-7777
You Could Be Entitled to Compensation After a Rideshare Accident
After a rideshare accident in Irving, you may qualify for compensation, including:
- Past and future medical bills
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- Loss of quality of life
Motor vehicle accidents are complicated enough under the best of circumstances. Unfortunately, the challenging aspects of a vehicle crash are often compounded when the other driver involved in the accident is a rideshare operator. In these cases, dealing with an additional insurance company could make this more difficult than necessary.
Our Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer can help you assess your losses accurately to prevent you from taking a settlement that would not fairly cover you. In some cases, ongoing medical issues resulting from your injuries can occur, and you will want to make sure you seek compensation for these costs.
Click to contact our Personal Injury Lawyers today
Work with Our Attorneys After Experiencing a Rideshare Accident in Irving
The attorneys of Loncar Lyon Jenkins have had success in pursuing claims against rideshare companies and their negligent drivers. You do not have to go up against these companies by yourself; you have the right to hire an attorney, and our firm wants to help.
Learn more about how an Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer could assist with your claim during a free consultation when you call. Allow us to work on your case while you rest and recuperate from your injuries and spend time with your loved ones.