If you lost a loved one due to negligence, you could recover compensation for a host of expenses. Our team of Laredo Lawyers has what it takes to manage your wrongful death case. We can negotiate a settlement, calculate your losses, and determine liability. When you call in Loncar Lyon Jenkins, you call in the Strong Arm.
How Long do You Have to File a Wrongful Death Case?
You generally have two years from the date of your loved one’s passing to file a lawsuit. While this deadline could be subject to change, you must file your case within this period or risk losing your right to fair compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a Wrongful Death lawyer serving Laredo, call 877-239-4878
Compensable Losses Following a Wrongful Death in Laredo
Depending on your situation, you could recover the following:
- Funeral expenses, including burial, cremation, and other related services
- Final medical expenses, if your loved one required medical treatment before their passing
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of income, if your loved one was your family’s breadwinner
We will calculate your losses based on your case’s circumstances.
Laredo Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 877-239-4878
You Could Have Lost a Loved One in These Scenarios
Our team focuses on certain aspects of personal injury law. These focuses are known as “practice areas.” Some of our practice areas that can include wrongful death include:
- Oilfield and construction accidents
- Motor vehicle collisions, including trucks, motorcycles, and cars
- Dog bites
- Slip and fall accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
We encourage you to visit our website for a full list of our team’s practice areas.
Contact our Laredo Wrongful Death Attorneys today
We Can Prove Negligence in Your Case
The American Bar Association (ABA) notes that to recover compensation, you must prove the four elements of negligence. These elements include:
- Duty of care. The other party had an obligation to act with prudence and safety in mind.
- Breach of duty. The other party failed in this obligation either due to carelessness or recklessness.
- The other party’s actions caused your loved one’s passing.
- You have incurred financial, emotional, and physical losses due to your loved one’s passing.
Proving these elements without a legal background can be complicated. However, with a wrongful death lawyer serving Laredo on your side, you don’t have to stress about these details.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Evidence That Could Support Your Case
Every wrongful death case must be built on evidence. With Loncar Lyon Jenkins on the case, we will investigate your loved one’s passing and gather important pieces of evidence, including:
- Your loved one’s death certificate, which may list their cause of death
- Your loved one’s medical treatment records
- Testimony from witnesses
- Statements from accident reconstruction specialists and medical professionals
- Traffic camera footage
- Photos of the accident scene
- Imaging scans, like MRIs and x-rays
Your personal testimony is also important. Be sure to write down anything significant about your loved one’s passing. A small detail can make a huge difference.
We Can Manage Your Insurance Claim
Per the ABA, most cases are settled through negotiations. To resolve your case, we will:
- Communicate with the claims adjuster
- Present the cost of your losses via a demand letter
- Negotiate a settlement
- Review the liable insurance policy
- Prove fault
- Protect you from bad faith insurance tactics
- Alert you to any possible settlement offers
We’ve been helping people since 1988. We know the lengths that some insurance companies will go to in order to deny compensation. We don’t have time for that–-and neither do you. If the insurer doesn’t agree to our terms, we’ll file a civil lawsuit.
We Can Fight for You in Court
Not only will we file your case within the appropriate deadline, but we’ll also:
- Present evidence to the presiding judge and jury
- Prove the four elements of negligence
- Highlight the cost of your damages
- Complete the “discovery” phase of litigation
- Cross-examine witnesses
- Explain what you should and should not say on the stand
- Guide you through the deposition process
All while your case unfolds in court, we’ll continue negotiating with the insurer. Sometimes, once our team files a lawsuit, the insurance company agrees to settle.
You Should Know These Three Things About the Financial Recovery Process
We don’t want you going into the claims process blind. So, we’ve compiled three questions and answers that could help you:
Can You File a Wrongful Death Claim on Behalf of Your Late Loved One?
Your eligibility for legal action depends on your relationship with the decedent. Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 71.004 says that the surviving spouse, children, and parents of the deceased can receive benefits.
For more information on this question, give our team a call. We can determine whether you have a case and can pursue damages.
Should You Give a Recorded Statement?
In general, giving the insurance company a recorded statement is a bad idea. They could take your words out of context or ask leading questions. However, if your lawyer in Laredo decides this could help you, then giving a recorded statement could be beneficial. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Keep your answers as concise as possible
- Refrain from adding irrelevant details or statements starting with, “I think…”
- Do not apologize for the incident
- Be careful about what you say about your condition
- Speak politely and professionally
- Avoid blaming the other party for the incident
A similar set of rules apply if you’re asked to give a deposition.
How Long Does it Take to Resolve a Wrongful Death Case in Laredo?
It could take days, weeks, or months to settle your claim. Your case’s progression depends on:
- The insurance company’s willingness to settle your case
- The money at stake
- Fault and liability
- Your supporting evidence
Our team will keep you updated at every stage of the legal process. If you ever have any questions or concerns regarding your case, feel free to consult your wrongful death attorney.
Call in the Strong Arm for Help with Pursuing Compensation
To learn more about partnering with a wrongful death Laredo Lawyers, call Loncar Lyon Jenkins at (877) 239-4878. Your first case review is free.