When a doctor makes a mistake, the results can be catastrophic, or even deadly. Anyone who tries to sue a medical professional must contend with a large insurance company and their high-priced lawyers. But you do not have to wage this battle alone. Call in the Strong Arm. Loncar Lyon Jenkins will fight vigorously on your behalf for every dollar you deserve. Contact our office at (800) 777-7777 so an Odessa medical malpractice lawyer can start on your case right away.
MEDICAL MALPRACTICE TAKES MANY FORMS
What is medical malpractice? A study shared by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) notes that the definition of this term has changed through the years. As of 2011, medical malpractice cases are those where a doctor fails to do what “a minimally competent physician in the same field would do in the same situation, with the same resources.” In other words, if a doctor behaves in a manner that even the least skilled of their colleagues would find unacceptable, they have committed malpractice.
Any medical professional or institution may be responsible for malpractice, such as a doctor, hospital, or medical clinic. Examples of medical malpractice include:
- Improper administration of drugs
- Surgical errors
- Incorrect diagnosis
- Incorrect or insufficient treatment
The effects of malpractice can be serious or even life threatening. They may include birth defects, internal injuries, disability, scarring, overdose, and death.
As the study cited above also points out, it is important to remember that a bad medical outcome does not necessarily mean there was malpractice. Doctors are human, and medicine is an ever-evolving science. It is possible for a doctor to do their job properly and still leave a patient with lasting damage. That does not invalidate your suffering or make it any easier to deal with, but it is not medical malpractice.
To know for sure whether you have a medical malpractice case, call Loncar Lyon Jenkins at (800) 777-7777. A member of our team will evaluate your case free of charge. If we believe you do have a case, we would be happy to discuss your options with you. Your Odessa medical malpractice lawyer works for a contingency fee, meaning that you do not have to pay us anything unless and until we get money for you.
Per Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §74.251, you generally have two years from the date of the malpractice to file a lawsuit. If you do file a suit within this deadline, you may be entitled to recover economic damages and/or noneconomic damages.
DEFINING ECONOMIC DAMAGES
If you lost or spent any money because of the malpractice, you could qualify for economic damages. These may include:
- Lost wages or benefits: if you were forced to take unpaid leave in order to recover from your injuries
- Lost earning capacity: if your injuries will prevent you from earning as much as you were expected to earn before the malpractice
- Medical expenses: if you needed or will always need professional medical care to manage your injuries
DEFINING NONECONOMIC DAMAGES
Of course you have suffered a physical injury. You would not be suing for medical malpractice if you did not. But noneconomic damages can also compensate you for the emotional distress you suffered due to the malpractice or your injuries. For example, you may be able to sue for:
- Pain and suffering: if your injuries caused you any physical pain or mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life: if your injures have cost you the ability to live alone or engage in activities that previously caused you no trouble
- Loss of companionship: if you lost a loved one to medical malpractice and must figure out how to live without them
GETTING THE COMPENSATION YOU DESERVE
To win a medical malpractice case, you need to demonstrate that, in addition to your doctor failing to provide the quality of medical care they were legally obligated to provide, their failure caused you serious financial, physical, and emotional damage.
Loncar Lyon Jenkins may be able to help you prove your case and recover the maximum amount of compensation. Here is a quick look at how we work:
- Assess your case for free: the first step is always to determine if you have a viable case. We will do this for you in one quick, free phone call.
- Identify liable parties and collect evidence: before you can sue, you have to know who all of the legally responsible parties are. We can gather documentary evidence and expert witness testimony to figure out what really happened and who is liable.
- File forms: we can take care of all legal paperwork, including notifying the liable parties that you are suing them.
- Handle communication: this includes communicating with the liable party, their attorney, and their insurance company. But it also includes communicating with you. You can call us at any time with questions, and if you are unable to travel to one of our offices, we will come to you.
- Negotiate a settlement: we are not afraid to meet with the liable party’s insurance company and fight hard for the settlement you need and deserve.
- Take your case to court: insurance companies will not always offer what you are entitled to. If that happens to you, we are ready and willing to represent you in a trial.
If you or a loved one has suffered the consequences of medical malpractice, call in the Strong Arm. Loncar Lyon Jenkins has been helping personal injury victims since 1988. An Odessa medical malpractice lawyer from our team can fight relentlessly on your behalf, giving you the peace of mind you need to concentrate on your recovery. Contact our office at (800) 777-7777. There is no time like the present to begin your lawsuit.