When a dog attacks, it can cause just as much psychological damage as physical harm. If you were bitten by a dog, a Wichita Falls dog bite lawyer at Loncar Lyon Jenkins may be able to fight for compensation on your behalf.
In the tragic event that your loved one passed away as a result of a dog bite, we may be able to help you pursue a different set of damages in a wrongful death lawsuit. The sooner we learn about the details of your case, the sooner we can get started.
Steps to Consider After You Have Been Bitten
Regardless of where you were bitten, whether the attack occurred at a park, someone’s home, or anywhere in between, there are some basic guidelines to keep in mind that may be helpful if you choose to pursue legal action for your injuries.
While every case is different in its own way, here are some general steps to keep in mind immediately following the attack:
Seek Immediate Medical Attention
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends seeing a healthcare provider for a variety of dog bite injury circumstances, including deep or swollen wounds.
One major concern with a dog bite is rabies, as this condition could require immediate treatment. The CDC recommends seeing a doctor if you do not know if the dog who bit you has had a rabies vaccine.
Seeking medical attention can also give you documentation of your injuries, which may be useful when fighting for compensation after your recovery. An attorney on our team may want to wait until you are healed to pursue damages against the parties responsible.
Keep track of any documents you have related to your injuries, the dog in question, its owner, the area where the attack occurred, and any other supplementary information about the attack. If anyone witnessed the attack, you may want to retain their contact information so that they may be called upon to testify in your defense later.
If the police responded to your dog bite, request a copy of the police report.
Be Careful When Communicating With Insurance Companies
The responsible party’s insurance company may contact you soon after your accident to discuss what happened. We recommend using caution in this situation, as the insurance agent may be able to use statements you give them to reduce or deny your claim.
If we represent you, a Wichita Falls dog bite lawyer from our firm can handle all communications and negotiations with the insurance companies in your case.
For a free legal consultation with a Dog Bite lawyer serving Wichita Falls, call 877-239-4878
Getting Help From a Wichita Falls Lawyer on Your Dog Bite Case
When you work with Loncar Lyon Jenkins on your case, one of our dog bite lawyers can offer a variety of legal services to allow you to focus on your recovery.
We may be able to help you by:
- Answering your questions and providing legal advice
- Identifying the liable party
- Gathering evidence of their liability
- Cataloging and putting a value on your damages
- Negotiating with the responsible party’s insurance company for a settlement
- Taking your case to trial if they are not willing to make you a fair offer
- Handling all communications, paperwork, and legal deadlines in your case
We can offer you these services on a no-win, no-fee basis, meaning:
- We kickstart your legal journey with us with a free, initial consultation
- We don’t take any fees from you out of pocket, hourly, or up front
- Before we get started, you and your lawyer will agree on a portion they will take from your compensatory award as their payment
- If you don’t get paid, neither does your lawyer
- There is a limited financial risk involved with us as your legal advocates
Wichita Falls Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me 877-239-4878
Compensation in a Dog Bite Case
No two cases are alike, so it is impossible to say how much your case is worth up front. However, there are common factors that we look at to determine its value, such as:
- The types of injuries you sustained
- Which body part was injured
- How long it will take you to bounce back to “normal”
- The dog owner’s insurance policy limits
- The non-economic and economic damages you sustained
The following damages may be available in a personal injury lawsuit for a dog bite:
- Medical bills, including rehabilitation, surgery costs, and the cost of treatment related to any dog-bite
- Lost wages
- Mental anguish, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pain and suffering
If you are pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit, a different set of damages may be available to you, including:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of income previously provided by the deceased
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of companionship
Contact our Wichita Falls Dog Bite Attorneys today
Hear From People Like You Who Have Called in the Strong Arm
Since 1988, we have made it our goal to recover the damages our clients need to get back to normalcy after suffering injuries in an accident. Our lawyers represent thousands of clients every year, but check out what a couple of them have said about their experience with us:
- “Great service and very professional!!” – Liliana F.
- “Loncar Lyon Jenkins have done an outstanding job for me and my family. The service that was provided throughout my 2 ½ years was spectacular.” Jonathan R.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Texas Puts a Time Limit on Your Dog Bite Case
Texas enforces the statute of limitations for both personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits. As Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 entails, claimants for both types have two years to file. However, there are exceptions. For example, if your child was bit by a dog, they might be granted more time to bring their case against the liable party.
In any event, if too much time passes and you are unable to submit your case in time, the state could keep you from recovering compensation in a lawsuit.
A lawyer with Loncar Lyon Jenkins can review your case and help you determine which timeframe corresponds with your case. If you notify us soon enough, we can adhere to the deadline.
Call in the Strong Arm to Defend Your Rights Today
You do not need to face a dog bite lawsuit on your own. A Wichita Falls lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins may be able to manage all aspects of your case when we represent you.
For a free, no-obligation consultation on your case with one of our staff members, call in the Strong Arm at Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878.
Call or text 877-239-4878 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form