Wrongful Death Suit Filed in Houston
After Family Electrocuted in Hotel Pool
On Labor Day weekend, a family went for a swim at the Hilton Westchase pool in Houston, Texas. The innocent family outing ended in tragedy when several members of the family were electrocuted, resulting in one death. The family is now suing the hotel, along with several other companies, including Brown Electric, Inc., who last repaired the faulty wiring that caused the electrocutions for wrongful death.
According the complaint filed in Harris County, the Houston Chronicle reports, Raul Hernandez Martinez, his girlfriend Lorena Mendoza, Lorena’s daughter Valeria Sanchez, and Raul’s mother and 10 year-old brother Maria and David Duran were swimming in the pool at the Houston, Texas Hilton Hotel where Raul, Lorena and Valeria were guests. At dusk, when the pool lights were on, the family started exiting from the pool. 10 year-old David started swimming towards his mother in the deep end of the pool when he started convulsing and floating. His mother, Maria, tried to reach for her son when she, too, was struck by the current of electricity and began to convulse. As a result, Maria was unable to reach her son and help.
Raul raced into the water in a heroic attempt to save his mother and young brother’s life. Despite screaming in pain, Raul still managed to reach his brother David and hoist him from the pool. Lorena and Valeria pulled David from Raul and reported feeling tingling from the electricity coursing through David’s body into theirs.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-777-7777
At this point, a bystander, responding to the screams, joined in the rescue efforts. The brave bystander and Lorena pulled Maria from the pool. By the time Maria was clear of the electrified water, Raul was floating and not moving. The bystander rescued Raul and then turned his attention to Maria. Maria lie, seemingly dead, on the side of the pool, but fortunately the bystander was able to revive her by administering CPR. Raul then suffered from cardiac arrest, and the bystander performed CPR on him.
Maria spent four days in the hospital and 10 year-old David spent a week in the pediatric ICU. Raul spent a week in the ICU where he eventually and tragically died as a result of his injuries.
Maria Duran and others filed a wrongful death suit against several companies responsible for the management of Hilton Westchase and Brown Electric LLC.
Who is at Fault?
If the allegations in the complaint are true, then both Hilton and Brown Electric are responsible for the death of Raul Hernandez Martinez. All those who exercised control over Hilton Westchase, such as Hilton Worldwide, are responsible for maintaining the safety of their premises. Businesses who invited people onto their property in the hopes of or in the commission of making a profit have a heightened obligation to ensure that those they solicit onto their property are safe. The complaint alleges that Hilton Westchase failed to keep their premises up to the standards set by the electric code. It will be difficult for Hilton Westchase to escape liability for the tragic death and the injuries caused by electrocution in their pool.
Click to contact our Personal Injury Lawyers today
Similarly, companies have a requirement to perform their services to a high standard. The complaint says that Brown Electric LLC did not have the proper permits to install the wiring in the pool. Brown Electric thus failed to meet its legal requirement to perform their services to the industry and codified standards and should be held responsible, along with those responsible for the premises, for injuries and damage caused.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one to the negligence or recklessness of a business anywhere in Texas, please contact one of our skilled and compassionate attorneys for a free consultation.
See Related Blog Post: