Accounting for well over a million accidents each year, studies by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) found that collisions between vehicles and large animals present a significant danger to drivers. When animals stray onto the road and cause an accident, the results can include substantial vehicle damage, emotional trauma, and serious injury.
If you have been involved in an accident caused by a large animal wandering into the road, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for your injuries and losses. The legal team at Loncar Associates is ready to answer your questions and help you determine your legal options. Call today to find out how a Lubbock animal crossing the street accident lawyer from our team may be able to help at (877) 239-4878.
Injuries Caused by Vehicle Collisions with Animals
Many accidents that involve hitting a large animal result in severe injuries to drivers and their passengers. Elk, deer, and moose commonly weigh hundreds of pounds and can easily total your car in a crash. Deer especially can suddenly jump into traffic from the side of the road, leaving drivers with no time to react; it is an instinctive reaction to swerve to avoid the animal. Unfortunately, this can result in:
- Hitting another vehicle
- Losing control of the vehicle
- Swerving off the road
- Rollover accidents
The consequences can be deadly or leave motorists with serious injuries such as:
- Broken bones
- Crushed organs
- Head, neck, and spinal cord injuries
The aftermath of such an event can leave survivors in pain, unable to work, and facing significant costs for medical treatment and other bills such as repairing or replacing damaged vehicles.
While these unexpected costs may seem impossible to cover, you may seek financial recovery by working with a Lubbock animal crossing the street accident lawyer. Additionally, it is good to find legal representation quickly to protect your rights. According to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §16.003, the statute of limitations for such cases in Texas permits two years to file for compensation. After this time limit expires, you may not be able to pursue your claim.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
Plan Ahead for a Safer Journey
Being aware of possible hazards caused by animal crossings can help to prevent accidents. The following guidance can be a handy reference to help you plan your journey safely:
- Be aware of the different types of wildlife along your planned route; you can check in a simple search on the internet. For example, according to Texas Parks & Wildlife (TPWD), there are about 4 million white-tailed deer in the state that may pose a threat to those traveling the roads of Texas.
- Knowing which animals are in the area and when they are most active can help you be more vigilant during these hours. Wildlife tends to be more active around dawn and dusk.
- Be mindful of road signs indicating deer or other animals are present in the area and drive accordingly.
- Avoid speeding, especially during the times when animals are more active.
- Although a natural reaction to have, resist the urge to swerve around an animal in the road. Slow down as much as possible, so you maintain control of your vehicle. This can help prevent collisions with other road users.
- Keep a safe distance from other traffic, especially on roads where wildlife typically roams. They may stop suddenly or swerve to avoid hitting an animal in the street.
- Check your insurance policy to ensure you have adequate coverage for crashes caused by wild animals, especially if you live in an area with lots of roaming wildlife.
If you have no option other than to collide with an animal in the road, dial 911 straight away if you or any passengers are injured. If possible, move your vehicle to a safe position and call the local police department. You will need the law enforcement officials to complete a crash report if you intend to file a claim.
While you cannot seek compensation from an animal, you may still have options for recovering damages in some circumstances. An example could be seeking financial recovery from government agencies if there are no warning signs alerting motorists to the hazards of animal crossings in the road.
The same applies if the accident was caused by a dead or injured animal that was not removed from the road within a reasonable amount of time. If a domestic animal caused the accident, it is usually the owner’s responsibility to keep it secure and out of the roadway.
It can be beneficial to seek advice from a legal professional to determine if you can proceed with a claim. They could also help you to gather evidence necessary to support your claim along with:
- Guiding you through the legal process from start to finish
- Estimating the financial, physical, and emotional impact of the accident.
- Negotiating with insurance companies to ensure you receive a fair settlement for your injuries and other losses.
This is especially important if you have been hit by another motorist who was attempting to swerve to avoid hitting an animal and collided with you instead.
Whatever the circumstances that lead to the accident, the team at Loncar Associates can answer your questions, offer advice about the legal options available to you, and help you plan a claim for compensation. Call for a free case review today at
(877) 239-4878 for further information.
Consider Legal Support from a Lubbock Animal Crossing the Street Lawyer
Accidents involving wild animals can be tricky, so you may think that the responsibility for the accident and its associated costs fall on your shoulders. However, it is time well-spent having legal advice to ensure your rights are protected, and that you are aware of the legal options you may have in terms of seeking compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost earnings
- Reduced earning capacity
- Emotional trauma
- Repairing or replacing your vehicle
A Lubbock animal crossing the street accident lawyer from Loncar Associates can support you through the legal process. We understand how a collision with an animal can be traumatic, and the impact of a severe injury on both you and your family.
If you would like to know more about how we can help you seek damages and any other awards you could be entitled to, call us for a free consultation at (877) 239-4878 today and find out if you have a case.