While many motor vehicle accidents are caused by driver error like speeding or texting while driving, many other accidents are the result of poor roadway design or road defects. However, these cases are often difficult to prove, which is why it may be important to have the assistance of a Lubbock accident caused by roadway design and defect lawyer. The team from Loncar Associates can discuss the circumstances of your situation and help determine if you have a viable claim. Call us today at (877) 239-4878 to learn more.
Common Types of Roadway Defects
Motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists may be injured by a variety of poor roadway designs and defects, including:
- Faulty traffic signals: traffic signals must comply with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways in the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR). This manual provides national standards on traffic signals, road markings, and traffic signs.
- Debris on the roadway: the National Motor Vehicle Crash Causation Survey published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that when roadway designs or defects were a contributing factor in accidents, ice and other debris on the roadway was the most cited concern.
- Obstructions to drivers’ vision: the NHTSA also cited obstructions to the driver’s vision as another common environmental factor that contributed to accidents. If bushes, trees, or other vegetation block roadway signs, drivers may not be able to see them. Likewise, if roads cause blind spots, accidents may be more likely to occur because there is not enough field of view to give motorists adequate time to react to situations. These obstructions may include sharp turns in heavily wooded areas or large signs that block the roadway.
- Poor signage: the NHTSA also cited poor signage as a possible hazard that leads to accidents. This may occur when signs are missing or ineffectual.
- Potholes: when a road surface is heavily damaged, potholes may begin to form, which can cause obstructions and vehicle damage.
- Inadequate infrastructure maintenance: roadways that are not properly maintained can lead to a deterioration of the roadway that makes accidents more likely to occur, especially for motorcyclists, who are more directly affected by uneven ground and problems in the roadway.
- Faulty safety systems: inadequate or missing guardrails can make some accidents worse by allowing vehicle(s) to leave the roadway.
There are many other design errors and defects that can cause or contribute to motor vehicle accidents, including:
- Oil, gas, or other liquid substances on the roadway
- Inadequate shoulders or shoulder drop-offs
- Inadequate warnings of changes in the shoulder area
- Inadequate sight distance
- Failure to install median barriers
- Improper curves or embankments
- Defective or missing warning signs or signals
- Dangerous intersection design
- Poorly designed construction zones
- Defective draining design
- Defective bridges or tunnels
- Inadequate warnings to notify motorists of nearby construction zones
- Missing signs for highway division
For a free legal consultation with a Roadway Design and Defect Accidents lawyer serving Lubbock, call 877-239-4878
Determining Damages and Compensation in Roadway Design Defect Cases
Accidents caused by roadway defects often lead to considerable damages because the motorist was not expecting the accident and may have not been able to brake in time to avoid the crash. If you or a loved one was injured in a case involving a defective roadway design, you may be able to receive compensation for the full extent of damages that you sustained, which may include:
- Medical expenses for past treatment, ambulance costs, hospitalization, and follow-up care
- Long-term healthcare expenses
- Home modifications if you suffered a disabling injury
- Lost wages and earning capacity
- Property damage expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Mental anguish
Contact us at (877) 239-4878 today to evaluate the potential value of your claim.
Lubbock Roadway Design and Defect Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-239-4878
How a Lawyer May Be Able to Help With Challenging Claims Regarding Roadway Designs and Defects
There are several complex aspects of bringing forth this type of claim. However, our lawyers represent more than 7,000 clients throughout the state each year, so we are prepared to handle complex aspects of your case, such as:
- Bringing a claim against a governmental entity: when a governmental entity is involved, there may be additional procedural challenges, such as overcoming governmental immunity or meeting special-notice guidelines and deadlines.
- Proving the poor roadway design or defect: these types of claims often rely on complex scientific and engineering principles. We may hire experts in your case to establish how the defect occurred and how it caused the accident. These experts may be able to discuss how the roadway was defective for some time and the governmental entity failed to correct a known problem.
- Properly evaluating extensive damages: our lawyers regularly handle personal injury claims and know the extensive damages that may follow an accident of this nature. You may be facing a lifetime of care or a difference in your economic stability, which should be fully accounted for before attempting to settle your claim. We will also ensure that your extensive pain and suffering are factored into your award. A Lubbock accident caused by roadway design and defect lawyer from our team will fight diligently to recover full compensation on your behalf.
Do not fight this type of case on your own. Our legal advocates are ready to stand by your side and assist with every aspect of your claim.
Contact our Lubbock Roadway Design and Defect Accident Attorneys today
Contact Our Team Today for Help
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident, a Lubbock accident caused by roadway design and defect lawyer from Loncar Associates may be able to help. If you retain our services, we will fully investigate your claim, determine how the accident occurred, and identify all potential sources of compensation. Because we work on a contingency-fee-basis, you pay no attorney fees unless we recover compensation on your behalf, so you have nothing to lose by contacting us to learn more about your legal rights and options. Call our firm today at (877) 239-4878 to get started on the claims process.
Call or text 877-239-4878 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form