Those who choose to make public roads in Austin into raceways risk the safety of those they share the road with. Those drivers could be guilty of negligence that may make them responsible for the losses of you or a loved one. If you or a loved one suffered an injury because of motorists racing on the streets of Austin, then an Austin street racing accident lawyer will help you pursue any compensation that you deserve.
A lawyer can handle your case while you work to recover from your injuries. Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878 for a free consultation about how we may help you.
Street Racing Is a Present Threat in Austin
The idea of racing another vehicle on a publicly-used roadway could seem unfathomable to you, but evidence suggests that the danger of other motorists street racing is real.
CBS Austin reported in January 2020 on an accident that claimed the life of a motorist, who was one of the parties engaged in the race. Additionally, KXAN reported in 2019 on an Austin neighborhood whose residents regularly witnessed motorists using their street as a venue for races.
Street racing is not only a threat to those who willingly engage in the activity. It may also endanger:
- Motorists in vehicles on the road where a race is happening
- Passengers in other vehicles near where the race is happening
- Pedestrians crossing a road or on sidewalks near the road
- Bicyclists on or near the road
- Children in neighborhoods where racing occurs
Racing implies that one or more motorists will drive their vehicle at speeds beyond what is allowed, or may accelerate at an abnormally fast rate. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) notes that 9,378 individuals died in 2018 because of speeding. It adds that, in 2017, speeding was the cause of 26% of all traffic-related deaths.
There are several ways that speeding, and racing in particular, could result in injury to racing motorists or others (such as you or your loved one). Racing may lead to:
- A racing motorist losing control of their vehicle and striking vehicles in lanes to either side of them
- A racing motorist being unable to stop before striking a vehicle in front of them
- A racing motorist striking a pedestrian who is crossing an intersection
- A racing motorist losing control and departing from the roadway, striking pedestrians or bicyclists on walkways adjacent to the road
Speeding is recognized as a dangerous behavior for motorists to engage in. If one or more motorists engaged in street racing and caused you or a loved one to be injured, then those parties could owe you compensation for the harm that they have caused.
An Austin street racing lawyer can lead your case for compensation. Call in the Strong Arm by calling Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878 for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a street racing accidents lawyer serving Austin, call 800-777-7777
Why You May Hire a Lawyer
Accidents involving street racing may have different considerations than more typical motor vehicle accidents. Motorists who choose to race their vehicle may show a greater level of disregard for your safety than those who cause an accident under more normal traffic circumstances. Your lawyer will fight for compensation based on the recklessness the liable parties displayed.
There are several possible reasons why you may hire a lawyer after a street racing-related accident. You may have little or no experience with the civil court system, may be injured in ways that make dealing with a lawsuit extremely difficult, or may generally value any knowledge that a lawyer may provide.
Consider that hiring a lawyer may cost you none of your financial assets, either. The American Bar Association (ABA) explains that your personal injury lawyer may work for a contingency fee, meaning that they will only get paid if they win for you, and will only receive compensation from your winnings—not out of your own pocket.
How a Lawyer May Help You
You may expect your lawyer to do everything in their power to complete your lawsuit, with the ideal outcome being compensation for you or a loved one injured because of street racing. Some of the specific duties that your lawyer may perform include:
- Gathering all of the facts and evidence relevant to your lawsuit
- Hiring experts to reconstruct how your accident happened
- Interviewing witnesses who saw the vehicle(s) that caused your accident racing
- Calculating the cost of your accident-related losses
- Documenting the type and extent of your injuries
- Completing and filing documents for your lawsuit
- Negotiating a settlement
A pre-trial settlement may be your lawyer’s first course of action. If you can obtain fair compensation without having to take your lawsuit to trial, then that may generally be the ideal outcome. If your lawyer cannot negotiate a fair settlement, however, they will seek the compensation you deserve through a trial.
Your lawyer will seek an amount of compensation that accounts for your accident-related losses. Every accident is different, and your lawyer will familiarize themselves with your injuries and other damages, which may include:
- The cost of your accident-related medical care
- The cost of rehabilitation and medication for your injuries
- The cost of treating trauma related to your accident, which could include counseling
- Income you have lost and will lose in the future because of your injuries
- Pain and suffering from your accident
- Damage to your vehicle
Being injured can cause losses beyond what you may have ever thought was possible. A lawyer will help you seek compensation to ease your financial burden.
Austin Street Racing Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-777-7777
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today to Learn About Your Options
An Austin street racing accident lawyer will defend your rights and pursue the awards you may deserve as the victim of street racing motorists. Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878 for a free consultation about how we will work for you.