When a driver ignores red lights or stop signs, it endangers the safety of everyone on the road. These traffic violations can lead to side-impact collisions, which can result in life-threatening injuries and fatalities.
If you were injured or lost a loved one due to the negligence of another driver, consider your options for financial recovery. A Dallas running a stop signal accident lawyer can gather evidence, assign liability, and advise you on your legal options as your case develops.
At Loncar Lyon Jenkins, we represent individuals and families throughout the Fort Worth, Houston, and Dallas areas. To get started with a free consultation, reach out to our team today at (877) 239-4878.
Compensable Damages in a Stop Signal Accident Case
The American Bar Association notes that most personal injury cases are settled without having to go to court. With this information in mind, you could settle your case through negotiations with the insurance company. However, if this does not happen, you have the option of filing a lawsuit for damages.
Yet, you do not have an unlimited amount of time to do so. Under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §16.003, you usually have a two-year period to bring your case before a judge. You are granted the same amount of time for a wrongful death action; the time you have to act begins from the date of your loved one’s passing.
If your case is successful, you could recover:
- Your past, present, and projected medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Expenses associated with wrongful death, including loss of consortium and funeral costs
Your lawyer can determine what additional damages could be available in your case.
For a free legal consultation with a running a stop signal accidents lawyer serving Dallas, call 800-777-7777
Possible Reasons for Ignoring a Stop Signal
Drivers break the law if they run a stop signal, per Texas Transportation Code §544.007. However, even if the other driver is ticketed or charged with a crime, that has no bearing on your ability to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
Before your Dallas car accident attorney can start negotiating for a settlement, they must first determine what contributing factors led to your collision. These elements can include:
- Distracted driving
- Inability to brake in time
- Coming to a “rolling stop”
- Driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or fatigue
- Lack of experience driving
Liability in your case may not necessarily rest on the other driver. For example, if the other driver was unable to see a traffic signal because of poor roadway maintenance, then a municipality could be considered responsible for your losses.
To learn more about who can be held financially liable for your damages, call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878.
Dallas Running a Stop Signal Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-777-7777
Proving Negligence After Being in a Collision
The basis of your case will rest on establishing how another party’s negligence resulted in your financial losses. You must be able to demonstrate that the at-fault party did not take precautions that another person in the same situation would have.
Your lawyer must establish:
- Duty of care. Every motorist has a duty of care to drive safely.
- Breach of duty of care. Your lawyer must identify what action (or inaction) by the other driver violated their duty of care.
- Causation. Your legal team must determine how the liable party’s actions caused the collision. For example, if you were struck by a driver that ran a red light, your lawyer must use the evidence in your case to establish this.
- Damages. You must have economic damages stemming from the collision. This could include your medical bills and lost income.
While your lawyer can investigate your case and collect evidence to establish negligence, you might already have important pieces of information on-hand. For instance, photos and videos of the accident scene, your medical records, and property damage receipts could be used to support your case.
Click to contact our Personal Injury Lawyers today
How a Dallas Running a Stop Signal Accident Lawyer Can Help You
When you work with Loncar Lyon Jenkins, you do not have to worry about paying for our services. We work on a contingency-fee basis. To get our help, we do not require any upfront costs or retainers. We get paid out of the settlement proceeds at the conclusion of your case—and only if it is successful.
While working with us, you can expect your Dallas running a stop signal lawyer to serve as your guide throughout the development of your case.
- Handle the paperwork involved in filing a claim or lawsuit
- Identify the liable party (or parties) in your case
- Collect evidence
- Consult with third-party field experts (such as accident reconstruction specialists) to learn more about the crash
- Calculate the cost of your collision-related expenses
- Negotiate with the insurance company
- File a lawsuit on your behalf, if necessary
Again, we encourage you to act quickly, since you might not have a long time to act under the state’s statute of limitations.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today for a Free Case Review
Our team wants to get started working on your case today. During this challenging time, we want you to focus on recuperating while we advocate for your legal rights.
To get started with The Strong Arm, call us today at (877) 239-4878 for a FREE case review.