The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) states that a person is injured in a motor vehicle accident in Texas every 2 minutes and 7 seconds. According to the TxDOT’s 2018 Crashes and Injuries data, there were 189 fatal crashes and 197 fatalities in Houston, as well as 1,175 suspected serious injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents. Houstonians navigate a sprawling city and may be a victim to another motorist’s negligence at any time, and sometimes life-altering or fatal injuries are the results.
You and your loved one may have been the victim of a negligent driver, and possibly other negligent parties. If so, call our team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 to learn more about how a Houston car accident lawyer may represent you in a case for compensation.
Houston’s Roads Are Exceptionally Risky
USA Today lists Houston as one of the top 40 cities with the “riskiest roads” in the United States. The article cites the city’s rate of nine traffic deaths per 100,000 people as one of the reasons why Houston drivers may find driving through the city perilous.
Some of the issues that plague Houston’s roadways include:
- An upward trend in the overall number of traffic deaths in spite of counteractive measures by public officials and law enforcement officers, according to the Houston Chronicle
- The presence of congested, dangerous intersections that pose an abnormally high risk of harm to motorists and pedestrians, as reported by CBS affiliate KHOU 11
- Houston’s status as the fourth largest city in all of the United States, as ranked by the United States Census Bureau, which virtually guarantees that roadways will be in a perpetual state of congestion
- Damage to Houston’s roads caused by continuous heavy traffic, such as potholes and fissures, as reported by the Houston Chronicle
In a city of Houston’s size and population, drivers may struggle to share the road with other vehicles and pedestrians, so accidents are bound to happen. The nature of Houston’s congested roadways makes it even more important that motorists engage in conscientious, cautious driving habits.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Houston, call 800-777-7777
Human Behaviors Often Cause Accidents
As much as road conditions and traffic congestion play a role in causing accidents, drivers have a responsibility to act in ways that minimize the risk of causing an accident to the greatest possible extent.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concluded that:
- Drivers may be responsible for as many as 94 percent of accidents
- Vehicle failure accounts for about 2 percent of accidents
- Environmental factors account for 2 percent of accidents
These statistics indicate that if you or your loved one was in an accident in Houston, it may be possible that at least one driver is responsible for your losses. The NHTSA’s National Motor Vehicle Crash Causation Survey provides an extensive list of driver behaviors known for causing accidents. These causes include:
- Taking a turn at unsafe speeds
- Tailgating, or following too closely behind another vehicle
- Failing to control the vehicle in a safe way, which may include overcorrecting, panicking, and failing to drive the car in the proper direction
- Making dangerous or illegal moves
- Driving aggressively
- Not driving defensively
- Failing to maintain proper attention to the road
- Being distracted by factors inside or outside of the vehicle
In addition to these behaviors, decisions such as driving while drunk or under the influence of drugs may have put you at the risk of injury and may qualify as negligence in Houston’s civil justice system.
If you believe that you or your loved one is the victim of a negligent driver, you may choose to get a Houston car accident lawyer and find out more about your legal options for pursuing compensation. Call our team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 for a free case review.
Houston Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-777-7777
You May Have Grounds to Sue One or More Parties
It is difficult to generalize about car accident lawsuits, as every accident and every accident’s fallout is one-of-a-kind. If you would like legal assistance to prepare for your car accident lawsuit based on the details of your case, you may enlist a car accident lawyer’s services. A lawyer may:
- Listen to your account of events
- Review any evidence that you provide them
- Provide their opinion about who might be held liable for your losses (it could be more than just the driver of another vehicle)
- Explain to you the next steps in launching a lawsuit, should you choose to do so
If you do want to continue with a lawsuit, either for yourself or on behalf of a loved one, your lawyer may:
- Take the initial steps in drafting and filing your lawsuit
- Search for evidence beyond what you provide to them, with possible assistance from professional investigators
- Prepare their argument for why the defendant(s) in your case were negligent, and how their negligence caused your injuries
- Calculate your total losses, document the losses, and request written and oral formats that you be granted compensation for your losses
- Negotiate a settlement or argue your case at trial
A lawyer may also defend you from anybody who would try to violate your rights or attempt to dissuade you from pursuing compensation. If your lawyer is successful at trial or in settlement negotiations, you may receive awards covering:
- Accident-related medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income
- Any death-related losses if your case is a wrongful death lawsuit
You may be experiencing difficulty in several corners of your life if you or a loved one suffered a serious injury or death. A lawyer may take on your legal fight so that you do not have to seek compensation on your own.
Click to contact our Personal Injury Lawyers today
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today
The team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins may answer your questions and lead any lawsuit that you or your loved one chooses to pursue. Call our team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 to learn more about how a Houston car accident lawyer may be able to help you as you focus on recovery.