Car or motorcycle crashes and workplace accidents often cause spinal cord injuries. Has this happened to you? Loncar Lyon Jenkins has successfully handled spinal cord injury cases and represented victims in Harris County.
Starting with a complimentary consultation, our Houston spinal cord injury lawyers will assist you in getting the compensation you deserve for your spinal cord injuries. Our legal team has the experience and resources to help you fight for justice.
Has an Accident Injured Your Spine?
Accidents resulting in back injuries can happen just about anywhere. However, here are a few of the most common causes of this medical condition:
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slips and falls
- Car accidents
- Truck collisions
- Sports injuries
- Defective products
- Assault and violence
Determining Liability in Spinal Injury Claims
The liable party for your spinal cord injuries depends on the circumstances of your incident. For example:
- Were you hurt by a defective exploding car airbag?
- Did you fall from a ladder at work after the worksite contractor didn’t set up the site correctly?
- Did a drunk driver collide with you head-on?
- Did a truck driver not look up while texting someone and hit you as you were in a crosswalk?
- Did you fall on a broken staircase that a property owner failed to repair?
For a free legal consultation with a Spinal Cord Injury lawyer serving Houston, call 877-239-4878
Filing a Claim for Compensation For Negligence
You deserve financial restitution if you’re stuck managing pain and dealing with medical bills because of someone else’s carelessness. That carelessness or negligence could come in many forms:
- Not providing a safe environment for employees or site visitors
- Failure to obey traffic lights and signals
- Drunk driving
- Texting while driving
- Not correcting or repairing safety issues in the workplace
What You Can Claim After a Back Injury
Our lawyers will fight to recover fair compensation for your financial losses. These are examples of what you can claim after your accident:
- Medical bills
- Assistive devices
- Home modifications
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and benefits
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of earning capacity
These damages don’t come with a precise price tag. For example, it’s hard to assign a dollar amount to the pain you’ve experienced.
However, your Houston spinal cord injury attorney can calculate a fair settlement estimate for these financial and emotional expenses. Not only that, but your attorney can consider future costs to account for ongoing healthcare you’ll need, potentially for the rest of your life.
Factors That Can Affect Your Claim Payout
Texas’s proportionate responsibility law means that a court could reduce your compensation when the evidence proves that you contributed to the accident and are partially at fault for the injury. However, when you work with a spinal cord injury lawyer, they’ll help you fight charges of comparative negligence and get the payout you deserve.
In addition, Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 sets the statutory deadline for filing spinal cord injury lawsuits at two years after the accident or death happens. If you miss the deadline, the court could reject your case.
When a Spinal Cord Injury Results in Wrongful Death
In Houston, parents, spouses, and children of someone who died after spinal cord injuries can file for wrongful death. When a family member dies from spinal cord injuries that a negligent person caused, an attorney can assist you with your claim. The attorney works to get you compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future earnings
- Loss of companionship
Houston Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me 877-239-4878
A Houston Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Is Ready to Serve You
Our team stands ready to offer the assistance you need. Here’s what Loncar Lyon Jenkins can do for you:
- Work with your doctors to fully understand your injuries
- Determine the ongoing care your injuries will require
- Establish how the injuries affect your ability to earn an income
- Evaluate the claims you and your family have after the injuries
- Gather evidence and interview witnesses
- Complete and file all the necessary documents you need for your claim
- Talk with insurance adjusters and other attorneys on your behalf
- Represent you in court if necessary
Here is some of the evidence we might collect:
- Medical records
- Accident scene photos
- Witness testimony
- Traffic and security camera footage
- Pay stubs and tax returns
Contact our Houston Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys today
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
Just like the causes differ, spinal cord injuries can differ as well. The seriousness of your condition can affect how much you can claim. You could face:
- Nerve damage:The most common type of spinal cord injury is often temporary with a quick recovery process.
- Complete spinal cord injury: With a total spinal cord injury, the area below the injury cannot communicate with the brain. These injuries often lead to losing motor and nerve function, sensation, and movement, resulting in paraplegia.
- Incomplete spinal cord injuries: You can still send signals to your brain with some degree of sensation and movement despite this injury. The amount of movement depends on the severity of your injuries.
Symptoms of a Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries damage the fiber tracts that carry signals to and from the brain. Severe spinal cord injuries result in areas below the injuries not being able to communicate with the brain, leading to permanent loss of sensation and strength as well as:
- Loss of bladder and bowel control
- Loss of movement
- Loss of feeling in the arms, chest, and legs
- Loss or disruption of sexual function
- Consistent burning pain due to nerve damage
- Spams and grossly exaggerated reflexes
- Muscle weakness or complete loss of function
If you or your loved ones suffer from those injuries, you don’t have to deal with them alone. Our lawyers will assist you in getting the money you need while you focus on healing.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Loncar Lyon Jenkins Proudly Serves the Houston Area
Loncar Lyon Jenkins has compassionate lawyers ready to listen to your story. In addition, we have the necessary resources to fight for the compensation you deserve. We operate on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t owe anything unless we win or settle your case. Contact our team today for a free case evaluation.