Driver fatigue is dangerous for obvious reasons—a motorist who does not have their full, undivided attention on the road is a possible threat to cause an accident. Drivers have a responsibility to ensure that they are in safe condition to drive, and that includes being alert enough to keep their eyes open and attention on the act of driving safely.
A Lubbock accident caused by driver fatigue lawyer may be of help if you or a loved one was injured because of a fatigued driver. Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 877-239-4878 for a free consultation about your right to seek compensation after an accident.
Driver Fatigue Is a Health Hazard
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that drowsy drivers caused approximately 72,000 accidents in a single year, adding that:
- One in 25 drivers considered to be adults stated that they had fallen asleep in the previous 30 days while driving a vehicle—an alarming reality to consider
- 44,000 injuries occurred in a single calendar year because of drowsy drivers
- 800 people died as the result of drowsy drivers in one year
It is clear that drivers who operate their vehicle in a diminished state put themselves and others at risk. Drivers must understand the causes and signs of drowsy driving before they cause an accident resulting in injury or death.
Causes and Signs of Drowsy Driving
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) notes that some causes of drowsy driving include:
- Getting too little sleep on a regular basis
- Getting too little sleep the night before driving for a significant period of time
- Drinking any amount of alcohol before driving
- Driving during periods of the day (or night) when you are likely to be tired because your body is used to sleeping (or napping)
- Taking medications known to increase drowsiness
Certain sleep conditions could also make you more susceptible to being drowsy while driving. Those who work in industries where long periods of driving are required, such as truckers or delivery drivers, may be susceptible to falling asleep behind the wheel, especially if:
- They do not honor restrictions on the number of consecutive hours which they are permitted to drive
- They are driving at odd hours
- They do not take legal precautions that would help them stay alert and awake
Some of the signs that you may be drowsy while driving, according to the National Safety Council (NSC), include:
- Feeling your eyes closing or head nodding, which may be termed “dozing off”
- Making tangible mistakes, such as veering from your lane, missing turns you are supposed to make, or reducing your speed without noticing
- Having lapses in your memory of recent driving events
A driver may be the one with the truest sense of when they are getting tired, and it is their responsibility to take measures to protect others when they feel they are driving in a drowsy state, which may include getting off the road until they are safe to drive.
A Lubbock accident caused by driver fatigue lawyer could help you pursue justice from any party who caused you or a loved one harm because of drowsy driving. Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 877-239-4878 for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a Driver Fatigue Accidents lawyer serving Lubbock, call 877-239-4878
A Lawyer May Assign Responsibility for Your Accident
One of the first steps after an accident may be to determine who is at fault for the collision that has caused you or your loved one harm. In the case of a drowsy driving accident, responsible parties may include:
- The driver who caused your accident
- Any employer of the driver responsible for your accident
- Any other parties whose actions contributed to your accident
The employer of a drowsy driver may be responsible simply because of the fact that they are the driver’s superior, but they could also be particularly liable if:
- They encouraged or permitted the driver to engage in behaviors, such as extended periods of driving, which may have plausibly led to drowsy driving or other dangers
- They did not regularly test the driver for use of drugs or alcohol, if either played a role in your accident
- They failed to implement technological safeguards against drivers operating a vehicle while drowsy or otherwise unfit
Once your lawyer helps you determine the parties responsible for your accident, they may:
- Dispatch professional investigators to collect evidence of your accident, including anything that documents the driver’s drowsiness at the time of the collision
- Help you document your injuries as proof of harm
- File all necessary paperwork, including the lawsuit itself
- Interview witnesses
- Hire expert witnesses
- Assess the sum of your losses and document the value of each loss you have suffered
- Negotiate a settlement with attorneys for defendants in your lawsuit
- Proceed to trial if necessary
- Defend your rights
If your lawyer argues your case successfully or is able to negotiate a settlement, you may have your losses covered by at-fault parties.
Possible Compensation From a Drowsy Driving Accident
You may be able to receive compensation for damages such as:
- The cost of emergency transportation
- The cost of emergency care after your accident
- The total cost of medical expenses originating from your drowsy driving accident
- Income you have lost as the result of your accident
- Income you will lose in the future due to your injuries
- Permanent disability
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Rehabilitation for your injuries
- Pain and suffering, including general harm that has diminished your quality of life
- Costs associated with the death of a loved one
A lawyer may fight for these and any other awards that you are entitled to while you put your mind towards getting better.
Lubbock Driver Fatigue Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-239-4878
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today
Call in the Strong Arm by calling Loncar Lyon Jenkins for details about hiring a Lubbock accident caused by driver fatigue lawyer. We will take on your case while you focus on other responsibilities.
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 877-239-4878 for a free consultation.