Dangerous lane change accidents could arise when one vehicle encroaches into another’s lane and makes contact with the vehicle. Danger may also occur when the encroaching vehicle does not make contact, but causes the vehicle they encroached upon to lose control or veer from the roadway, resulting in an accident.
If you or a loved one was involved in an accident caused by an unsafe lane change, then you may be able to obtain compensation covering your losses. Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 for a free consultation about hiring a Lubbock accident caused by unsafe lane change lawyer.
What Qualifies as an Unsafe Lane Change
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (Executive Summary, p. viii) documented 539,000 lane-change crashes involving two vehicles in a single year. Some of the types of lane-change accidents examined include:
- An intentional lane change into a lane that another vehicle occupies
- A vehicle cutting across an occupied lane of traffic in order to turn off of a roadway
- A vehicle merging into a roadway, failing to yield to oncoming traffic
- A parked vehicle merging into traffic when no unoccupied lane is available
- Drifting from one lane into an occupied lane for any reason, including while turning
- Merging partially into another vehicle’s lane in order to pass the vehicle
A lane change maneuver may generally be unsafe if:
- There is a vehicle directly parallel to you in the lane you are merging into
- A vehicle is just behind you in the lane you are merging into, so that there is very little clearance to merge into their lane
- One does not have the right-of-way when merging into a lane from either a parked position or when entering a roadway
- Making the lane change maneuver causes an accident or causes another vehicle to make an accident avoidance maneuver, whether that maneuver results in an accident or not
Some reasons why a motorist could make an unsafe lane change include:
- They have items inside their vehicle, or fastened to the outside of their vehicle, which obstruct their vision
- They drive a vehicle that may be susceptible to blind spots
- They rely exclusively, or too heavily, on rear view or side mirrors to check blind spots
- They do not turn their head to check for a vehicle before merging
- They are unaware of right-of-way practices on a given roadway
- They are visibly impaired, or are driving with diminished vision (without glasses, contacts, or otherwise)
- They do not have properly cleaned or functioning visibility equipment, such as headlights and a clean windshield
- They are driving while distracted, as taking attention from the road could cause a vehicle to drift into an adjacent lane of traffic
- They are impaired by drugs or alcohol, an act which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) cites as the cause of substantial death and injury each year
A motorist may be liable for causing an accident by the very fact that they merged or drifted into another lane of traffic in a dangerous fashion—the cause of their dangerous lane change could be an important consideration when determining damages, however.
A Lubbock accident caused by unsafe lane change lawyer may help you seek compensation for your injuries and related losses. Call in the Strong Arm by calling Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 for a free consultation after your accident.
For a free legal consultation with a unsafe lane change accidents lawyer serving Lubbock, call 800-777-7777
You May Obtain Compensation Through Insurance or Civil Court
A lawyer could be helpful regardless of whether you intend to seek compensation through insurance or a lawsuit. You may also engage in a lawsuit after exhausting your efforts to obtain a fair insurance settlement.
Some factors that may influence whether you can obtain an insurance settlement include:
- Whether the driver responsible for your accident is insured
- Whether any company that employs the driver who caused your accident has insurance
- Whether the amount of insurance coverage provided by at-fault parties is enough to cover your losses
- Whether the insurance company for at-fault parties negotiates with your attorney in good faith
- Whether you believe one or more at-fault parties acted in a way that warrants seeking compensation beyond an insurance settlement
If you do not reach a settlement agreement, you may turn your eyes towards the process of bringing a lawsuit.
A Lawyer May Handle the Bulk of Your Lawsuit
You may find significant value in a lawyer’s ability to handle legal matters so that you do not have to, and they may take on the significant majority of responsibility as it pertains to your lawsuit.
Some services that your lawyer may provide are:
- Gathering evidence
- Organizing evidence
- Filing paperwork
- Making in-court appearances on your behalf
- Speaking with, and possibly hiring, expert witnesses to support your case
- Interviewing witnesses and recording their accounts
- Organizing documentation of your injuries and other losses
- Determining the compensation that you should be entitled to
- Negotiating a settlement on your behalf
- Completing a trial if necessary
- Defending your rights
A lawyer could also:
- Answer all of your lawsuit-related questions
- Advise you on strategy throughout your time as their client
- Ensure that you and your loved ones are kept in the know about your lawsuit
- Manage any stress that may come from bringing a lawsuit so that you can focus on getting better
If your lawyer wins on your behalf, you may collect compensation for:
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- All other accident-related losses
Lubbock Unsafe Lane Change Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-777-7777
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today
The team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins will fight for any compensation that you deserve, and having a Lubbock accident caused by unsafe lane change lawyer on your side of the aisle could be a great relief. Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 for a free consultation.