The roads of Odessa may be dangerous even when drivers are paying full attention to the road, as hazards can emerge at any moment. When drivers engage in dangerous acts known to increase the risk of an accident, the threat of injury and death generally increases in a major way. Texting while driving is among the known accident risks that drivers must avoid, and those who do not refrain from texting and driving could be responsible for the losses of you or a loved one.
Speaking with the team for an Odessa texting while driving accident lawyer could help you determine whether you would like to pursue compensation after a texting while driving accident. Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878 for a free consultation.
Distracted Driving is a Massive Problem
Texting while driving falls within a category of motorist behaviors referred to as distracted driving. These behaviors take a motorist’s attention away from the road, and in doing so take their attention away from objects and events that could cause a collision. A driver without their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel cannot see a car braking in front of them, for example.
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) notes that more than 17% of accidents on Texas roads in 2019 involved a distracted driver, and adds that there are many ways in which a driver can avoid texting while behind the wheel. Those alternatives include:
- Pulling to the side of the road in a safe manner if they must send an urgent message
- Simply refraining from texting while driving
- Tell any relevant people that they will not be responding to text messages while they are on the road
- Asking another party in the vehicle to send a message on their behalf
- Turning the phone off or using an app to auto-reply to text messages while driving
The unacceptable option is to text while driving, as this has led in many instances to accidents resulting in injury and death. You or your loved one may have experienced this outcome firsthand.
The Dire Outcomes of Texting While Driving
If you or your loved one is considering bringing a lawsuit or pursuing an insurance claim, then you may have experienced an injury because of a distracted driver. Motor vehicle accidents can cause a wide array of possible injuries, including:
- Spinal cord injury, which Mayo Clinic notes could cause paralysis and fundamentally alter your life
- Skull fracture
- Traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones in your arms and hands
- Injury to internal organs
- Internal bleeding
- Severe cuts and burns
- Scarring and other forms of disfigurement
No injury is acceptable when a distracted driver is responsible for your harm. Texting while driving and other forms of distraction show a blatant disregard for the safety of you, your loved one, and others who may share the road with a distracted driver.
An Odessa texting while driving accident lawyer can assess all of the losses you have suffered from your accident and pursue compensation in return. Call in the Strong Arm by calling Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878 for a free consultation.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
A Lawyer Will Fight Your Case
By hiring a lawyer, you may gain access to a legally trained advocate who:
- Will handle your insurance claim or lawsuit from start to finish
- Will defend your rights
- Will formulate and execute a strategy for pursuing compensation
- May have experience trying texting while driving cases
If a lawyer is handling your pursuit of compensation, you may also be able to focus the necessary time and attention on your own recovery, a loved one’s recovery, or the grieving process. There are several specific ways in which a lawyer may serve you and your loved ones, including:
- Collecting evidence, perhaps with help from professional investigators
- Hiring expert witnesses to testify on your behalf
- Calculating your losses
- Documenting your injuries
- Obtaining documentation of your losses, such as medical bills and lost income statements
- Dealing with insurance companies
- Dealing with other attorneys
- Negotiating an insurance settlement or pre-trial settlement
- Completing a trial if it is necessary
Your lawyer will aim to secure a settlement so that you do not have to enter a courtroom. If it is necessary to go to trial in order to pursue the compensation that you deserve, then your lawyer will be prepared to do so.
Your lawyer’s duty will include proving that the parties named in your insurance claim or lawsuit violated your right to reasonable safety. Texting while driving generally is a violation of a motorist’s duty of care, as it puts other motorists and pedestrians at an unreasonable risk of suffering an injury.
Potential Recoverable Losses For Your Case
The losses caused by a motor vehicle accident vary on a case-to-case basis, and your lawyer can investigate the specific ways in which your accident has negatively affected you or your loved one. Some of the losses that you may have suffered are:
- The loss of a loved one, and all of the losses that come from a loved one’s passing
- Lost income
- Permanent disability
- Diminished earning power
- Medical costs, which could be extensive
- The cost to rehabilitate your injury
- Medication costs
- Pain and suffering
- The cost of scarring and other disfigurements
- Damage to your vehicle and other personal property
Motor vehicle accidents may generally produce losses that are both economic and non-economic in nature, and your lawyer may help you seek compensation for every sort of loss that you have suffered.
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today
The team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins may be able to handle your case for compensation, defending your rights and fighting for the best possible outcome for you or your loved one. Do not wait to call us, as Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 generally limits your window to seek compensation after an accident resulting in injury or death.
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878 for more information about hiring an Odessa texting while driving accident lawyer at no upfront cost.