Drugs can have benefits, such as relieving pain or alleviating symptoms of illnesses. However, they can also be very dangerous if not administered properly. If you or a loved one has suffered the effects of an improperly administered or otherwise dangerous drug, let an Odessa dangerous drug lawyer fight for the compensation you deserve. Call the office of Loncar Lyon Jenkins at (877) 239-4878 to learn more about how we may be able to help. The initial case review is obligation-free and costs nothing.
EVEN LEGAL DRUGS CAN BE DANGEROUS
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), any negative drug-related experience is called an adverse drug event (ADE). These events may include everything from a prescription error to an allergic reaction to an overdose. Even one ADE can have life-altering consequences.
Some drugs are highly addictive. If a doctor does not carefully monitor their patient’s use of such drugs, the patient may become dependent. They may take higher and higher doses or, per the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), turn to counterfeit versions of the drug that are laced with other, equally dangerous substances. Either way, the patient is at serious risk of overdose or even death.
Seeking compensation after an ADE can be frustrating and time-consuming, and there is no guarantee that you will receive compensation in the end. Loncar Lyon Jenkins can negotiate on your behalf and even represent you in court if need be. Contact our office at (877) 239-4878. The sooner you call, the sooner we can get started.
HOW SEEKING DAMAGES CAN HELP YOU
Medical mistakes can affect your life in so many ways. You might have to pay for additional medical treatments to undo the damage caused by the drug. Maybe you were traumatized by your ADE, or maybe your loved one passed away because of an ADE. Regardless of what kind of damage you suffered—financial, physical, or emotional—you can sue for compensatory damages.
Monetary compensation can never make up for everything you have gone through. But it can ease your burden by covering bills and living expenses that you otherwise could not afford. Below is a brief explanation of what kinds of things compensatory damages can help you with.
ECONOMIC AND NONECONOMIC DAMAGES
Whether you are filing a lawsuit for personal injury or wrongful death, you only have to concern yourself with two types of compensation.
The first, economic damages, compensates you for money you lost because of the incident, such as:
- Medical expenses: you needed emergency care after your ADE and/or you will need continuing care to deal with long-term effects.
- Loss of wages: you lost income when you took time off work to recover from your ADE.
- Loss of employment: you lost your job because of your ADE or its long-term effects.
- Loss of financial support: this is similar to lost wages. However, it only applies in wrongful death cases where you were financially dependent on your deceased loved one. Your lawyer can help you calculate how much your loved one would have earned had they lived.
The second type of compensation is noneconomic damages, which will compensate you for whatever physical or emotional toll the ADE had on you or your deceased loved one. They can include such negative effects as:
- Disability: your ADE left you physically or mentally impaired.
- Pain and suffering: your ADE caused physical symptoms, such as pain, or psychological symptoms, such as depression or anxiety.
- Reduced quality of life: you cannot live as you did before. This may include lost independence or being unable to participate in a favorite hobby.
- Loss of companionship: your loved one is irreplaceable. Their loss has forced you to carry on without their invaluable love and support.
THE POTENTIAL BENEFITS OF LEGAL REPRESENTATION
Loncar Lyon Jenkins knows that recovering from any medical event is difficult and draining. You should focus on getting your life back, but you also need monetary compensation to help you pay your bills.
Fortunately, you may be able to do both. By hiring us to manage your lawsuit, you give yourself the time you need for yourself and your family. An Odessa dangerous drug lawyer may do all of the following and more:
- Identify liable parties: this may be the doctor who prescribed the medication, the drug manufacturer, both, or someone else. We will vigorously investigate your claim to figure out who you can sue.
- Submit forms: your lawsuit could be derailed by something as simple and avoidable as a mistake on a form. By letting your lawyer handle all paperwork, you ensure that all forms are filled out correctly and filed on time.
- Gather evidence: during our investigation, we may collect all kinds of evidence, from medical records to expert testimony, to back up your claims. This may increase your chances of persuading the insurance company to offer a fair settlement.
- Negotiate: we can represent you at meetings with the liable party’s insurance company. You do not have to talk with them.
- Go to court: while a settlement is quicker and easier, sometimes a court trial is the only way to get the amount you are entitled to. Your lawyer will fight for you every step of the way.
- Be available to you: a member of our team is available to take your call twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Do not be shy about calling us with questions or concerns. We are here to help however we can.
Your adverse drug event has disrupted your life. You deserve financial compensation to help you deal with the aftermath. Loncar Lyon Jenkins can fight for that compensation on your behalf. Give us a call at (877) 239-4878 and let us evaluate your case free of charge. An Odessa dangerous drug lawyer will cost you nothing unless and until you get your money.