If you or a loved one was injured in a wrong way traffic accident, then a Wichita Falls wrong way accident lawyer may be able to help you recover compensatory damages. Loncar Lyon Jenkins can help you secure financial recovery for your lost wages, healthcare expenses, and emotional trauma.
Call (877) 239-4878 to learn more and receive a free consultation.
Understanding Wrong Way Traffic Accidents
When a motorist drives on the wrong side of the street, they run the risk of causing a head-on collision. Wrong way accidents can happen when another motorist drifts into your lane. These collisions can also happen in parking lots and garages.
Causes of Wrong Way Accidents
Wrong way accidents can happen for a variety of reasons.
Here are some of the common causes of these accidents:
- Drunk or drug-impaired driving. Drivers who are under the influence may miss a one-way street sign or not notice if they drift into the wrong lane. Additionally, they may be unable to respond to oncoming traffic due to their dulled reflexes.
- Fatigued driving. Drowsy drivers can experience similar symptoms as drunk drivers.
- Elderly drivers. Elderly drivers may be unable to see or read traffic signs due to impaired vision. They may also have poor motor skills for a variety of age-related reasons.
- Environmental factors. The government may have failed to install wrong way signs in appropriate areas.
There could be other reasons for your Wichita Falls wrong way accident than those listed above.
The Impact of Wrong Way Accidents
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), wrong way driving accidents tend to be “relatively more severe” than other kinds of traffic accidents. Head-on collisions can be particularly dangerous, and so can “opposite direction side-swipe” accidents.
Wrong way accidents can result in serious injuries and even death.
Some of the injuries you or a loved one may have suffered include:
- A traumatic brain injury (TBI). The back-and-forth jerking motion of the head in a collision can cause damage to the brain, resulting in headaches and concussions.
- Whiplash and other neck injuries. Upon impact, your neck and head may have jerked back and forth. This can cause stiffness in the neck, pain, and a decreased range of motion.
- Broken bones. Fractures can range from mild to severe and compound injuries that may require surgery.
- The loss of a limb. A high-speed impact can sever a limb or cause serious fractures that necessitate amputation.
- Burns. If the collision caused your car to explode, you may have suffered painful burns.
- Lacerations. Deep cuts can be life-threatening and leave scars.
- Internal organ damage. Injuries to the liver, spleen, and kidneys can cause internal bleeding and require surgery or transplants.
You or a loved one may have suffered injuries not included here.
Fault in Wrong Way Accidents
In order to recover damages through a personal injury case, you will need to show that another party caused the accident. Often, this can be accomplished by showing that another driver acted recklessly or negligently. The driver who was going the wrong way may be the sole negligent party in your case, however, other parties might also share the blame.
Texas is an at-fault state with a proportionate responsibility statute, per Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 33.001. Even if you are partially responsible for what happened, you can still recover damages as long as the other parties involved are more responsible than you.
To learn more, call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at (877) 239-4878.
For a free legal consultation with a wrong way accidents lawyer serving Wichita Falls, call 877-239-4878
What to Do if You Are in a Wrong Way Accident
The first thing you should do after being involved in a wrong way accident is to seek medical care. Get help from medical professionals who can diagnose and treat your injuries.
From there, you should consider:
Reporting the Accident
Be sure to notify law enforcement of the accident. The police will create a crash report that can later be used as evidence in the event that you bring a claim or lawsuit.
Take pictures of your injuries, your vehicle, and the accident scene. Documenting road and weather conditions can help you later when trying to prove fault.
Get the contact information of the other parties involved in the crash, but be sure not to say anything to them that could be interpreted as an admission of fault.
Take witness statements if possible. Witnesses can speak to a variety of things—the circumstances of the crash, the severity of your injuries, and the roadway’s conditions.
Working with a Personal Injury Lawyer
A Wichita Falls wrong way accident lawyer can build a personal injury case on your behalf. They will also negotiate with the insurance adjusters so that you do not have to.
If the insurance company does not pay you the money you are owed, then your lawyer could take your case to court and fight for your rights before a judge and jury. At Loncar Lyon Jenkins, we are not scared of a good fight. If we believe that your case should be brought to trial, we will not hesitate to do so for the good of you and your family.
Wichita Falls Wrong Way Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-239-4878
Bring in the Strong Arm of Loncar Lyon Jenkins
After being injured due to the negligence of a reckless driver, you may be entitled to compensation to cover your collision-related expenses. Loncar Lyon Jenkins wants to help you get compensation so that you can heal physically, financially, and emotionally after an accident leaves you injured.
Contact us today at (877) 239-4878 for your free consultation. We can also explain how a Wichita Falls wrong way accident lawyer from our firm can fight for your rights.