There are several things to know about a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer. First, you should know the primary purpose of the consultation: to introduce you to the firm. Before your consultation, you should prepare for the discussion with a prospective law firm.
How You Can Prepare for Your Free Consultation With a Personal Injury Attorney
Law firms may conduct several consultations per day. The better prepared you are for your consultation, the more beneficial the process will be. Prepare yourself for a complimentary consultation by:
Doing Some Background Research on the Law Firm
A law firm’s website may tell you:
- Where the firm is located
- What regions the firm serves
- What practice areas (and case types) it handles
- Whether it has obtained financial recoveries for its clients
- Individual and total recoveries it has secured
- How many attorneys the firm employs
- What former clients say about the law firm
You will skip needless questions during your consultation by obtaining this information beforehand. This will allow you more opportunities to get answers that you cannot find online.
Identifying the Personal Injury Law Firm’s Fee Structure
The law firm may advertise its fee structure online. However, many personal injury firms will use language like, “no fee unless we win,” or “if we don’t win, you owe us nothing.” These indicate that the firm uses contingency fees.
With contingency fees, you will not pay any upfront cost to hire them. The firm will handle all case-related costs. If the firm secures a judgment or settlement for you, it will receive a percentage of the recovery. If you do not receive any compensation, the law firm will not either.
Even if you see contingency fee language on the firm’s website, it is wise to confirm their fee structure during your consultation.
Speaking With Previous Clients of the Law Firm
The experiences of friends, colleagues, or family members can be valuable. If anyone you know has interacted with a personal injury firm, ask them:
- How would you describe your experience, overall?
- Did the law firm obtain the compensation you were hoping for?
- Did the law firm make you feel important?
- What were the best and worst aspects of the firm?
Feel free to ask any questions you find relevant. Even if someone did not have the same case type as you, their experience might be worth considering.
Preparing Questions to Ask
Every client has unique concerns and questions. Do not be afraid to ask any question that is on your mind. Some possible questions to ask include:
- How have you performed when handling cases like mine?
- Who will be handling my personal injury claim?
- What will you do to make me feel valued as a client?
- What sort of resources are you prepared to invest in my case?
- Do you ever hire experts for personal injury cases?
- Is there a deadline for filing my personal injury lawsuit?
- Why should I choose your firm for my case?
Hiring a personal injury lawyer is a significant decision. Choosing the right attorney could lead to a substantial settlement or judgment. Choosing the wrong lawyer—let’s just say you want to hire the right lawyer. The more thoughtful questions you ask, the more confident you can be in your choice.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
3 More Things to Know About Free Consultations With Personal Injury Lawyers
You now know how to prepare for a free consultation. Some other things to know about a complimentary consultation are:
1. A Consultation May Not Provide In-Depth Advice
Consultations are not always as in-depth as an accident victim expects. While these meetings can be helpful, they are largely introductory. During your consultation, you may not receive clear legal advice or an in-depth case strategy. This initial meeting with a law firm may be more helpful for:
- Meeting the team that could handle your case
- Learning basic information about the firm and its resources
- Gauging your comfort level with the firm
The in-depth legal services generally come after you hire the law firm.
2. The Law Firm May Have Questions for You
You may face some questions from the law firm, including:
- What you hope to accomplish with your case
- What damages you have suffered
- Whether you have any case-related documentation
- Whether you have dealt with a personal injury lawyer or case before
These questions should be easy enough to answer.
3. You do Not Have to Hire the Firm, and They do Not Have to Accept Your Case
The consultation is a feeling-out process for both you and the firm. At the end of the consultation, you both have a choice. You can choose to hire the firm or not. Likewise, the firm can choose whether to accept your case or not.
Call Our Personal Injury Law Firm to Receive Your Free Consultation Today
Now that you know all about free consultations call Loncar Lyon Jenkins for yours. We handle a wide variety of personal injury cases. We also help those who have lost a loved one. Call in the Strong Arm to lead your case and start with a free initial meeting.
Call our law office today or contact us online for your free consultation.