For decades, doctors have prescribed the blood thinner Elmiron (pentosan polysulfate sodium (PPS)) to treat symptoms related to interstitial cystitis (IC). However, recent research has uncovered a connection between bladder medication and severe and permanent eye conditions.
If you have vision problems after taking Elmiron, Loncar Lyon Jenkins can help you recover financial compensation with an Elmiron lawsuit. Our personal injury attorneys can pursue your medical expenses and other damages with a product liability lawsuit against the dangerous drug’s manufacturer.
Thousands Have Filed Suit Over Elmiron’s Side Effects
Elmiron has been available to patients since 1996. The active ingredient, PPS, relieves pain and discomfort caused by IC. However, according to the Canadian Urological Association Journal, a 2018 study found that Elmiron may cause a serious eye condition called pigmentary maculopathy. This condition affects the retina and causes potentially permanent changes in vision, vision loss, and blindness.
Forbes reports that since researchers uncovered the relationship between Elmiron and pigmentary maculopathy, nearly 1,700 users have filed suit against its maker, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson. The lawsuits allege that the drug manufacturer knew of Elmiron’s dangers and failed to notify the public. The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) did not update Elmiron’s label to include a warning about vision problems until 2022.
A multidistrict litigation (MDL) has formed over Elmiron. An MDL allows many plaintiffs who have suffered harm in the same way by the same defendant to consolidate multiple individual claims before the same judge. With an MDL, each plaintiff has their own counsel, and the court awards damages based on each case’s unique circumstances. Bellwether test trials for Elmiron will occur in early 2023.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
What Damages Can You Recover in an Elmiron Lawsuit?
Our attorneys can help you seek economic and noneconomic losses resulting from Elmiron’s side effects. Compensation may include:
- Medical damages. You should not have to pay for medical bills incurred due to vision problems caused by Elmiron. Our lawyers can calculate your past and current medical bills and estimate a fair sum to pay for necessary future treatment. Compensation may include doctor and specialist services, hospital stays, diagnostic imaging, lab tests, surgeries, medications, occupational therapy, and long-term nursing care.
- Lost wages. We can help you recover back pay, health and retirement benefits, bonuses, tips, and other earnings lost due to complications from Elmiron.
- Lost earning capacity. If vision problems or blindness force you to change jobs, reduce your workload, or leave the workforce, we can seek compensation for the loss of your earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. We can seek noneconomic compensation for intangible losses caused by your health condition, including anxiety, depression, physical pain, mental anguish, stress, and other quality-of-life reductions.
- Household services. If your loss of vision prohibits you from performing household tasks, we can seek compensation for help with household services, such as cleaning, cooking, or lawn care. We can also recover costs related to medical travel, transportation services, or medically necessary home modifications.
How Much Is Your Case Worth?
Your damages will depend on various factors, including your age, the cost of your medical care, and the severity of your condition and its impact on your life. We can tell you more about your potential compensation once we gather more information about you and the specifics of your case. Additionally, we may learn more about Janssen Pharmaceuticals’ willingness to settle and for how much once the bellwether cases go to trial.
How Long Do You Have to Pursue Your Losses?
The deadline for filing a lawsuit based on product liability is two years, according to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.012. In general, if the statute of limitations expires, the court will refuse to hear your case. However, circumstances exist that may extend or shorten your window to take action. Our personal injury attorneys can tell you more.
How Can Our Attorneys Help With Your Elmiron Case?
Our firm has decades of legal experience and a reputation for standing up to powerful defendants, including pharmaceutical companies. If you have pigmentary maculopathy caused by Elmiron, Loncar Lyon Jenkins can review your case and determine if you qualify for an Elmiron lawsuit. We can then help you build your case and pursue the damages you deserve. We can:
- Collect evidence, including medical records, scientific and medical research, and expert opinions
- Obtain your medical bills and other proof of your Elmiron-related losses
- Calculate and pursue fair compensation for you or your loved one
- Prepare and file case paperwork, track and follow deadlines, and handle communications (leaving you free to focus on your health and your family)
- Negotiate a settlement
- Represent you at trial if needed
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
What Should You Do If You Currently Take Elmiron?
The FDA has not recalled Elmiron, and doctors still prescribe the medication. The risk of developing pigmentary maculopathy appears to be greatest in people who have used the medication for three or more years. But, doctors have observed patients with vision problems after shorter periods of use and in people who have discontinued its use.
If you took or currently take Elmiron, you should get regular vision and retinal screenings. You should also seek treatment immediately if you experience:
- Difficulty reading
- Difficulty adjusting from light to dark
- Blurred or distorted vision
- Loss of vision
- Blind spots or blindness
Elmiron also has non-vision-related side effects. You should see a health care provider if you have severe or persistent:
- Bloody stool
- Stomach pain
- Hair loss
- Abnormal liver function tests
Reach Out to Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today
Loncar Lyon Jenkins has fought for the rights of Texans since 1988. Despite being a large firm, we strive to provide personalized legal services to each of our clients. We understand that you are going through a challenging time, and we want to be your ally and legal advocate.
We represent clients on contingency, meaning you pay no upfront or out-of-pocket attorney fees. Additionally, we provide free consultations and can meet virtually if you cannot visit one of our eight offices in Dallas, Houston, El Paso, Lubbock, McAllen, Wichita Falls, Odessa, and Tyler. Contact us 24/7 to learn more and get started on your Elmiron lawsuit today.