You can get an accident report in Texas by requesting one through the Texas Department of Transportation’s (TxDOT) Crash Report Online Purchase System. As long as the online system can recognize your identifying information and locate your crash report, it is made available to you immediately for a small fee. According to Texas Transportation Code §550.062, filing a crash report is mandatory if:
- Anyone involved in the accident is injured
- Anyone involved in the accident is fatally injured
- More than $1,000 of damage is apparent to either vehicle
An official copy of your accident report will cost:
- $6 for a regular copy
- $8 for a certified copy
You can also order an accident report by mailing the correct payment amount along with the required forms. Because an accident report is a confidential document, according to TxDOT guidelines, only the following individuals may request a copy:
- Any involved party
- Anyone authorized by an involved person
- An employer of an involved party
- The parent of an involved party
- The registered owner of an involved vehicle
- The vehicle owner’s insurance company
- Anyone pursuing legal action due to the accident
An accident report is an important document that captures details of an accident and can help tell the objective story of a car accident.
Types of Accident Reports in Texas
When you request an accident report after a vehicle collision in Texas, you can receive a regular copy of the report for a small fee of $6. For an additional $2 in fees, you can request a certified copy of the report. A certified report is an official document—the type that might be used as part of a legal proceeding.
Your lawyer might use a certified copy of your official crash report in a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit when you request financial compensation from the driver who caused the accident. The crash report will contain important information that bolsters and supports your version of the events leading up to, during, and after the collision.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-777-7777
Information Your Lawyer Might Collect from Your Crash Report
When you are involved in a car accident in Texas, you, the primarily at-fault driver, and any passengers in the involved vehicles might have varying recollections of the details of the collision. Objective (unbiased) details of the collision can help your lawyer prove fault and assign financial liability in the aftermath of a collision.
Information your lawyer might glean from the crash report includes:
- Date, time, and location of the accident
- Road and weather conditions
- Alcohol involvement and BAC testing details
- Vehicle descriptions and identifying information
- Contact information for each driver
- Contact information for all passengers
- Contact information for accident witnesses
- Investigating officer’s narrative
- Descriptions of injuries
- Accident scene diagrams
Obtain a copy of the crash report as soon as it becomes available. Share a copy with your legal team right away and retain a copy for your personal records and files.
Obtain These Additional Records Along with Your Accident Report
The official accident report of your accident can be used to establish the date of the accident and to ensure compliance with the statute of limitations. In Texas, you are generally entitled to two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit, according to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §16.003.
While your accident report is an important part of a comprehensive case file, it is only one of many building blocks of a successful compensation claim. Members of our legal team might also request:
- Medical records and photos of your injury that detail the extent of your injuries and medical treatments
- Medical bills, receipts, and insurance forms that demonstrate the current and future cost of your medical care
- Employment records, direct deposit forms, or tax forms that demonstrate your accident-related income loss
Our team can help you obtain these items if needed. We might also be able to obtain many of the items on your behalf, which can mean you are able to focus on your physical recovery. During this time, we will focus on building a solid case backed by objective evidence.
Call in the Strong Arm After a Motor Vehicle Accident in Texas
When you or someone you love is injured in a car accident in Texas, our team is committed to helping you get the compensation you deserve. We are equally committed to helping your family if you have lost someone you love because of another person’s negligence.
If you were injured in a car accident, contact the personal injury team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins by calling (877) 239-4878 to find out how to get an accident report in Texas. Learn more about how valuable your accident report is to your compensation claim.