When you don’t respond to an insurance claim, the insurance company will likely give you the benefit of the doubt at first. They will make multiple attempts to contact you. But if you still don’t answer, they can resort to more serious actions.
Next Steps if the Insurance Company Can’t Reach You
- They might send you a bill for the damages to the other vehicle. If you can’t pay the bill, the insurance company may allow you to pay over time. This will depend on the company. They are not obliged to do this and may demand payment in full.
- If you don’t pay the bill, they might hire a collection agency. In Texas, there are rules about what a collection agency can and can’t do to recover a debt. But debt collection agencies are tenacious and experienced. Dealing with them can be very stressful.
- As a last resort, the insurance company may file a suit against you and get a ruling. You should consider that this procedure can affect your credit rating and your ability to get insured in the future.
For a free legal consultation, call 877-239-4878
Do I Have to Respond?
If you have insurance, your policy will require you to cooperate with interested parties when a claim is made. By not responding, you are breaking the terms of your policy. Things become more complicated than they need to be.
You might feel that you have a good reason to stay quiet, but it’s never a good idea to ignore legitimate communications from an insurance company. An attorney can support you in navigating this process, especially if you feel you were the victim.
What If I Don’t Have Insurance?
Driving without insurance is not just against the law—it can also end up costing you more in the long run if an accident occurs. Insurance is not cheap, but it’s important to have it.
In Texas, if you don’t have car insurance you may face criminal penalties. Also, you could be personally liable for any damages if the accident was your fault. This might cost you a lot of money. You will also find that the premiums on your future insurance are higher than they would normally be.
Should I Deal With This Myself?
We wouldn’t recommend fighting an insurance claim alone. You will be dealing with experienced negotiators and you are in a vulnerable situation. By choosing not to respond, you have put yourself in a vulnerable position whether or not you’re insured. Accident claims are complicated enough in the best of circumstances. You should consider working with a professional.
If I Decide to Respond, Should I Contact the Other Insurer?
This is not a good idea. After an accident, it is best not to deal with the other insurance company directly. To begin with, they may want to record any conversation. They will usually try to get you to admit that the accident was your fault. You will have to be very careful about anything that you say.
If you’ve hired an attorney, they can handle communication with the insurance company for you. They can review and submit any paperwork and handle all negotiations.
When it’s Time to Get a Lawyer
Most of us have been in situations where we hope that a problem will just go away if we ignore it. But experience teaches us that this is rarely a good idea. When you ignore the first communication from the other party’s insurance company, you’re making the situation more difficult for yourself. Getting legal representation can mean finding a way out.
At Loncar Lyon Jenkins, we can handle all correspondence and communication on your behalf. We know insurance companies and can use that knowledge to get you the best results. Our firm started in Dallas back in 1988 and now we represent clients all over Texas.
Depending on the situation, here are a few additional ways that your attorney can offer assistance:
- We can communicate with you in Spanish to make sure you understand what the insurance company is saying.
- Our team can collect evidence and interview witnesses.
- We’ll review police reports, medical reports, and statements from the insurance company.
- Your attorney can file appeals and other legal documents to help fight for your rights.
Contact our personal injury lawyers today
Make the Right Call Today
You can get in touch with Loncar Lyon Jenkins today for a free consultation. This initial chat will be informal and is a great chance to ask questions. It’s a risk-free opportunity to get legal advice. It also gives us a chance to evaluate your situation and suggest how you should proceed. Don’t put off your response—get the help you need.