The types of damages that can be sought in an oilfield accident lawsuit include medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost income, and emotional distress. A Dallas oilfield accident lawyer can help gas workers build their cases for financial compensation.
If you’ve been injured in an oilfield accident, navigating the aftermath can be overwhelming. Understanding your legal rights is crucial to ensuring you can recover the damages you’re entitled to. Oilfields are inherently dangerous places to work, and accidents can have devastating impacts on your health, livelihood, and overall well-being. In the event of an accident, several types of damages can be sought through a lawsuit to compensate for the injuries and losses you’ve suffered.
Types of Damages You May Recover in an Oilfield Case
Most oilfield workers can file a personal injury lawsuit to recover economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages compensate you for your financial losses, while non-economic damages cover your intangible losses related to the accident.
In fatal oilfield accident cases, you could file a wrongful death lawsuit to seek justice and compensation on behalf of your loved one.
A Dallas personal injury lawyer can help you seek compensation for:
One of the most immediate concerns following an oilfield accident is the cost of medical treatment. You can seek compensation for medical expenses incurred due to the accident, including hospital stays, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, and any future medical care related to your injuries. The aim is to ensure that you’re not paying out of pocket for the medical treatments necessary to recover.
An injury from an oilfield accident can lead to significant time off work, impacting your financial stability. You’re entitled to recover damages for lost wages, which includes the income you’ve lost during your recovery period. If your injuries affect your ability to work in the future, you can also seek compensation for loss of earning capacity, ensuring your financial security is protected.
Physical Pain and Suffering
Compensation for physical pain and suffering accounts for the immediate and ongoing discomfort caused by your injuries. This category of damages recognizes that the impact of an accident goes beyond financial losses, addressing the physical distress and its repercussions on your daily life.
Oilfield accidents can also have profound psychological effects. You may experience anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and other emotional damage due to the accident and its impact on your life. Compensation for emotional distress aims to acknowledge and address these non-physical injuries.
Scarring and Disfigurement
Recovering compensation for scarring and disfigurement addresses both physical and emotional impacts. It covers medical treatments for scar reduction, psychological counseling, and compensation for the loss of quality of life and self-esteem. Legal claims emphasize the permanent nature of these injuries and their profound effect on the victim’s life.
Loss of Enjoyment of Life
Severe injuries can hinder your ability to enjoy hobbies, activities, and day-to-day pleasures you once took for granted. This loss of enjoyment of life is a compensable damage, recognizing the decreased quality of life and the limitations imposed on your lifestyle and leisure activities.
Wrongful Death Damages
In the tragic event that an oilfield accident leads to a fatality, the surviving family members can file a wrongful death claim. Damages in such cases can include funeral and burial expenses, loss of the decedent’s future earnings, loss of companionship, and the emotional pain and suffering experienced by the surviving family members.
According to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, you typically only have two years to file a lawsuit for compensation. Don’t wait to take legal action.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
How a Lawyer Can Support Your Oilfield Accident Lawsuit
Navigating an oilfield accident lawsuit requires knowledge of personal injury law, as well as an understanding of the oil and gas industry’s regulations and practices. A personal injury attorney can offer invaluable support in several ways:
- Case evaluation: A lawyer can assess your case, helping you understand your rights and the types of damages you may be entitled to.
- Evidence gathering: Building a strong case requires comprehensive evidence, including accident reports, witness statements, medical records, and expert testimony. A lawyer can manage this process effectively.
- Negotiations: Many oilfield accident cases are settled out of court. A lawyer can negotiate with the responsible parties and insurance companies to secure a fair settlement on your behalf.
- Trial representation: If your case goes to trial, having a lawyer to advocate for you in court can make a significant difference in the outcome.
- Guidance and support: Beyond the legal aspects, a lawyer can provide guidance and emotional support, helping you navigate the complex and often stressful process of an oilfield accident lawsuit.
Who Can You Sue in an Oilfield Accident Lawsuit?
In an oilfield accident lawsuit, various parties might be held responsible for the injuries and damages sustained. Identifying the liable parties is crucial to ensure you seek compensation from the correct entities:
- Oilfield operator: The company operating the oilfield can be sued for negligence in maintaining safe working conditions.
- Equipment manufacturers: If defective equipment contributed to the accident, manufacturers could be liable under product liability laws.
- Contractors and subcontractors: These entities might be responsible if their actions or negligence contributed to the accident.
- Maintenance companies: Firms tasked with equipment maintenance could be liable if failure to properly maintain equipment caused the accident.
- Third-party vendors: Other companies providing services on the site, whose negligence might have led to unsafe conditions resulting in the accident.
If more than one person caused your accident, you can seek a claim against all negligent parties.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins for Help Filing Your Personal Injury Claim
Recovering from an oilfield accident can be a long and challenging journey, but understanding the types of damages you can seek in a lawsuit is the first step toward securing the compensation you deserve. Our legal team can help you seek fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
To begin filing your compensation claim, contact us today. Our team can help members of the oil industry throughout the entire legal process.