Personal injury cases fall under the area of tort law, as explained here from the Legal Information Institute. Tort law includes:
- A specific class of lawsuit
- A lawsuit that you bring to protect yourself or your property
- A lawsuit you bring because somebody’s actions, intentional or not, caused you or your loved one harm
Personal injury lawsuits span a wide variety of accident types and circumstances, and speaking with a lawyer may give you a better idea of whether you or a loved one may be a candidate to bring a personal injury lawsuit. Call our team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 to have a free consultation about how a McAllen personal injury lawyer could provide you legal assistance.
Injuries Can Occur in a Split Second
Government agencies provide data that shows just how prevalent, unexpected, and serious injuries can be. According to various agencies:
- 214,000 people in the United States pass away every year because of some type of injury, as reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Even more people—millions, as the CDC estimates—are injured each year yet do not pass away from their injuries, potentially suffering serious health effects nonetheless
- Emergency rooms treat tens of millions of patients who require medical treatment for injuries every year, per the CDC
- Workplaces are among the settings where injuries occur, according to the Texas Department of Insurance (p.4), with industries in Texas including but not limited to manufacturing, mining, transportation, and warehousing
If you or a loved one became part of these statistics by suffering an injury that has impacted your physical health, you may have experienced losses connected to your physical injuries.
An Injury May Interrupt Most Parts of Your Life
Suffering an injury can immediately interrupt your life as you know it. This interruption is rarely a positive development, as your daily routine may serve a critical purpose for:
- Your ability to earn a level of income that supports your lifestyle, and the lives of any dependents who rely on you
- Allowing you to maintain a level of physical activity that promotes your health and happiness
- Supporting your sense of independence
- Maintaining strong mental health
When you suffer an injury, you may find that your routine is impossible to maintain and that virtually every facet of your life could be diminished as a result. Depending on the nature and severity of the injury that you or your loved one suffered, you might:
- Be out of work for an indefinite period of time, and without income or earning only a diminished income as a result
- Be unable to move physically or have significantly restricted range of motion that may prevent you from working, exercising, and completing routine tasks
- Suffer psychologically and emotionally due to the physical restrictions imposed by your injuries
- Have lost a loved one because of an injury caused by somebody else
These and many other losses that you have suffered because of your injuries or your loved one’s injuries or death may receive recovery through a successful lawsuit. A McAllen personal injury lawyer may be able to help you bring a lawsuit against the parties responsible for your losses. Call our team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at
800-777-7777 for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving McAllen, call 800-777-7777
A Lawyer Can Advise You About Bringing a Lawsuit
If your injury was not your fault, and you want to explore the possibility of seeking compensation for your losses, speaking with a lawyer or their team may give you insight into your options. In your initial consultation, a lawyer may:
- Ask you about the circumstances that caused your injury and document your account
- Answer any questions that you have about pursuing a lawsuit, or another avenue towards compensation that the lawyer lays out for you
- Tell you precisely how they may be able to assist you in pursuing justice
If you choose to utilize a lawyer’s services, then your attorney may:
- Investigate your accident, gathering evidence along the way, which may come in handy during your lawsuit
- File your lawsuit as soon as possible so that your case falls within the statute of limitations, which is generally two years in the state of Texas per Texas Civil Statutes Title 2 § 16.003.
- Speak with experts to glean their insight and testimony about your accident
- Obtain medical documentation of your injuries for the purposes of proving harm to you and calculating compensation
- Represent you in court appearances, settlement negotiations, and any trial that proves necessary
- Protect your rights from being violated
In a personal injury case, any lawyer’s goal is to obtain compensation on your behalf.
Determining Compensation in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
Each individual personal injury lawsuit will contain unique considerations, including the losses that the plaintiff (you) has suffered. Your lawyer should document and calculate the losses that you have sustained and use this tabulation as the basis for the awards that you will request.
Some of the types of compensation that may apply in the case of your lawsuit include financial coverage of:
- Medical expenses incurred because of the defendant’s negligence
- Income that you have not earned because your injuries prevent you from working
- Future income that you are likely to lose because of your injuries
- A decline in your earning power caused by your injuries
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish and other types of suffering
- Any permanent disability that you have suffered
The facts of your accident and injuries may entitle you to additional awards. If your loved one died, and you plan to bring a wrongful death lawsuit on their behalf, you may ultimately receive coverage for:
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of the deceased’s already lost and future income
- Funeral costs and other expenses related to their death
- Medical costs for the deceased
McAllen Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 800-777-7777
Call Our Team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today
Our mission is to secure any forms of compensation that you should be entitled to receive, and you can call in the Strong Arm to fight on your side. Call our team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777 to find out more about how a McAllen personal injury lawyer could provide you various legal services.