AlloDerm is a surgical mesh used in hernia repair and breast reconstruction surgery. It has been linked to serious complications when used in hernia repair procedures, often requiring painful revision surgery. In one recent study, nearly one quarter of the AlloDerm patients experienced one or more complications.
When AlloDerm has been used in hernia repair, it has been linked to serious, even life-threatening, complications, including pain and swelling, hernia recurrence, mesh tear, mesh erosion, adhesion problems, abscess and infection. Most of the complications seen in that study involved hernia recurrence, while one rejection and two infections were reported. All too often, victims of AlloDerm hernia repair complications must undergo additional surgical procedures to correct the problem.
For a free legal consultation, call 877-239-4878
Serious AlloDerm complications include injuries to nearby organs, nerves and blood vessels as well as adverse reactions to the mesh and adhesions (where the loops of a patient’s intestines adhere to the mesh or each other). Some of the AlloDerm complications known to have occurred when it is used hernia repair include:
- Ring Breakage: This can lead to hernia recurrence, abdominal abscess, inflammation and swelling.
- Mesh Tear: This can result in hernia recurrence, infection and additional surgeries.
- Mesh Perforations: The perforations required for the preparation of this product could develop weakness of tissue that would allow the hernia to reoccur.
- Adhesion Issues: Many doctors have reported a failure of adhesion and proper healing of surgical incisions with the use of AlloDerm.
- Mesh Erosion: Grafts like AlloDerm have a known risk of erosion. This leaves the patient with no option but to undergo further painful and expensive procedures.
Loncar Lyon Jenkins is currently investigating claims involving complications linked to AlloDerm hernia patches. If you believe you or a loved one has been injured as a result of hernia repair surgery, contact our office for a confidential case evaluation.