At Brian Loncar and Associates, we know that after a car wreck or trucking accident, you can be discombobulated or confused. We know most people don’t want to admit to the weakness of being hurt or being a problem so they say they are “fine”.
What are some common mistakes that if avoided, could help your lawyer get you a quick, easy painless settlement after being injured in a car accident.
If you have been hurt in an accident and believe you may need medical help, click here.
1) DON’T SAY YOU ARE SORRY!
In truth, you don’t know what happened. It is not wise to admit fault when you may not be at fault. The first thing you should ask yourself is “Am I OK?”
2) DON’T SAY YOU ARE OK.
Again, if the accident just happened the full extent of the damages you experienced may not be clear. By tomorrow morning you may find yourself in real pain and with more bruises.
3) DON’T COMPLAIN ABOUT THE DAMAGE TO YOUR CUSTOMIZED VEHICLE– According to some insurers, much past $2000 in customization of a street vehicle may not be covered or in fact may void your policy altogether.
4) UNLESS YOU ARE SURE, DON’T OFFER AN IDEA AS TO WHERE THE DAMAGE CAME FROM OR HOW IT OCCURRED. Offering that info may make you look like you did it or helped the accident or damage occur.
5) DON’T SAY YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED. In any accident everyone involved has an opinion as to what happened in the event. Unless you were knocked unconscious, you have an idea, right or wrong, as to what the events were that lead up to the accident.
6) DON’T CALL THE OTHER GUYS INSURANCE COMPANY BEFORE YOU CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. First thing you want your insurance company to know they need to expect a call. If the other driver is the first to contact your insurance company, the first “story” they hear is the other driver’s- not yours. That story then becomes the baseline for the sequence of events.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-777-7777
7) DON’T DIAGNOSE YOUR INJURIES. Even if you are a medical professional, it is not wise to list your injuries or guess as to what may be damaged in your body. You have been injured and you are a regular person, you likely will have no real knowledge as to what is damaged if anything, internally. Self diagnosis may red flag your claim as fraudulent.
By following these tips if you are ever involved in an auto accident or tractor trailer wreck, you can greatly reduce the amount of time your personal injury attorney has to take to negotiate your claim.
Brian Loncar and Associates personal injury Attorneys serve the D-FW area and the Great State of Texas for nearly 30 years. To reach an office near you click here.