If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident, you may wonder if it is worth getting a lawyer for a car accident. Depending on your losses, you may decide that it is worth it to get a lawyer for your car accident claim.
A Lawyer Can Protect Your Rights
If you are involved in an accident, you have certain rights. A personal injury lawyer can champion your rights by identifying all parties that are potentially liable for your injuries and working to hold them accountable.
Additionally, your lawyer will be familiar with the statute of limitations, which is the deadline that you have to file a lawsuit in order to prevent your case from being time-barred. In Texas, this deadline is two years from the date of your accident under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003.
However, there are times when this timeline may be longer or shorter. A personal injury lawyer will know how the timeline applies to your claim and can help you take necessary legal action to preserve your rights.
For a free legal consultation, call 877-239-4878
Handling a Car Accident Claim Is a Full-Time Job
Many accident victims initially set out to handle their claims themselves, only to find out how time-consuming and cumbersome it is. It really is a full-time job to handle a car accident claim. If you already have a full-time job, children or parents to take care of, or a household to run, you likely will not have all of the time and energy to adequately handle your claim.
Personal injury lawyers perform many services to help you maximize your car accident claim, including:
- Investigating the car accident scene
- Reviewing hundreds or thousands of documents—including accident reports, statements, medical records, insurance policies, and employment records
- Interviewing the law enforcement officer who responded to the scene
- Interviewing eyewitnesses
- Collecting physical evidence or photographing property damage before it is repaired
- Handling communications with the insurance company
- Requesting medical records and developing medical chronologies
- Preparing written communication to the insurance company, including a demand package that summarizes your claim and the full extent of your damages
- Estimating the full extent of your damages
- Working with expert witnesses to determine the cause of the accident or the long-term impact of your injuries on your life and earning capacity
- Preparing settlement paperwork
- Preparing and filing paperwork for a lawsuit if a fair settlement is not offered
Lawyers may know about other avenues for pursuing compensation that you are aware of. Your lawyer will not let you leave money on the table. They will:
- Advise you of how to protect the value of your claim
- Handle communications with the insurance company so that you do not say something that adversely affects your claim
- Supplement your claim with relevant documents
- Know the tactics insurance companies play and how to respond to them
- Can file a lawsuit if the insurance company does not offer a fair resolution
Some Personal Injury Lawyers Work on a Contingency-Fee-Basis
Many accident victims may be concerned about not having enough money to hire a personal injury lawyer. However, many personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee. This means that you are not charged for an attorney’s services unless and until you recover compensation for your claim.
Your attorney may provide hundreds of hours of initially free work for your claim and then recover an agreed-upon percentage from your settlement or award. If you do not receive compensation for your claim, you may not pay attorney fees. This arrangement allows you to have the legal assistance you need now while paying for it later.
Contact our personal injury lawyers today
Contact Loncar Lyon Jenkins to Get Started
Loncar Lyon Jenkins is here to help you determine whether it is worth it getting a lawyer for a car accident. We provide a free consultation so you can learn more about your claim. We will describe all the ways we can help. Get started today by calling us at 877-239-4878. We look forward to serving your legal needs.