In Texas, personal injuries are damages to either the mind or body that another person or party causes. Examples of personal injury cases may include:
- Vehicle accidents
- Animal attacks (such as dog bites)
- Product malfunction
- Slip and fall accidents
Personal Injury and Negligence
Across the state of Texas, citizens are injured on a daily basis. In some cases, these injuries are accidents, and no one is liable for them. But if someone was at fault, a personal injury lawsuit might be appropriate. If you have been injured, you should know there are many layers to personal injury in Texas.
For the majority of personal injury claims, victims do not need to prove that another person deliberately harmed them. Instead, victims need to prove that they were injured due to negligence. In other words, to have a legitimate and legally pursuable personal injury case, a victim must be able to prove two things:
- The incident happened to the victim and caused damages, like medical bills for their personal injuries.
- The other party owed the victim a reasonable amount of care.
- The personal injury was caused by the negligence of another person or party. In other words, the other party did not take enough care to prevent you from getting injured.
Important Facts About Personal Injury Lawsuits in Texas
Personal injury lawsuits cover a wide variety of issues, from workplace accidents to car crashes and more. Despite this, there are some important facts that connect all personal injury lawsuits. Here is what you need to know:
- Insurance companies only want to pay out as little as they can get away with. If they can settle claims for less than they are worth, the company profits. So if you are the victim of a personal injury, be wary when talking to insurance companies (even your own).
- It is essential that you get the medical attention you need. Going to a doctor and keeping detailed records of your tests and treatment can document and prove the extent of any injuries down the line.
- You will want to maintain important documents. This includes your medical reports and police reports. Other important types of documentation are financial records (such as receipts), witness statements, photographs, CCTV footage, and more.
For a free legal consultation, call 877-239-4878
Texas Law Limits Your Time to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit
Be aware of the statute of limitations. This is the amount of time you have to file your lawsuit. In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years, according to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003. This means that you have only two years to start your lawsuit from the date of your personal injury. These issues are complicated, so it is essential to act fast.
We Make the Process Easier
- We Offer Free Consultations to Victims. Our personal injury attorneys want to help you understand your rights. For this reason, our legal team offers a case review at no charge or obligation to you. This initial meeting is a chance for us to assess the strength of your claim and estimate potential damages.
- We Have Affordable Legal Fees. In most cases, our personal injury law firm may be able to take on a case on what is called a contingency basis. This means you will not owe our law firm anything unless we are successful with your case. We will agree on a percentage beforehand, and you can pay directly from your settlement.
A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help Your Claim
A lawyer with extensive knowledge of personal injury law in Texas is invaluable during your claim. Insurance companies are generally more responsive when faced with legal representation. A personal injury lawyer can do the following:
- Investigate the cause or causes of your injury, including relevant documentation.
- File an insurance claim and communicate with the insurance company on your behalf.
- Filing a civil complaint and having it served to the defendant.
- Maintaining communication with representation for the defense.
- Filing necessary motions before trial.
If necessary, our legal team can help you by representing you at trial. Then, following the judgment, we can help you appeal an unjust decision. Finally, if the judgment comes down in your favor, we can help you obtain the personal injury settlement you are owed.
Contact Our Personal Injury Law Firm to Learn More Today
Our team is here to walk you through your personal injury claim. We have offices across Texas, serving areas like Houston, Dallas, El Paso, and Lubbock. Contact us today to learn more about what a personal injury is in Texas and how we can help. Then, let the lawyers at Loncar Lyon Jenkins handle the complicated legalities of your personal injury while you focus on getting better.