With more and more people using rideshare services, someone who gets hurt in a rideshare accident will face additional steps to file a claim that a person in a collision in their vehicle will not.
It is difficult to know what to do if you get injured in an ordinary automobile accident. Still, if the incident involves a rideshare vehicle, you need to know what you should to recover compensation. These situations are complicated because there could be multiple liability insurance carriers, each trying to hold the other responsible.
Complete Your Medical Treatment
We assume that you have already received medical attention for your injuries by the time you are reading this. If you did not, you should get professional medical treatment. Injuries tend to heal better with prompt medical attention. Also, you might have hidden injuries that you have not yet noticed because symptoms are not showing.
You should complete the medical treatment your doctor prescribes unless there is a significant reason to deviate from the plan, such as an allergic reaction. In that situation, you should contact your doctor at once.
Finishing your treatment gives you the best chance of optimal recovery from your wounds and takes away the insurance company’s argument that you did not heal because you did not complete your treatment.
For a free legal consultation, call 877-239-4878
Notify the Police and Uber of Your Accident
You should notify the police from the scene so they can investigate the accident, collect the evidence, get the contact and insurance information of all parties, and make a report. The police report will be vital evidence in your Uber accident claim.
Also, you should report the accident to Uber to put them on notice of a possible injury claim. Insurance companies like to deny coverage for claims if they do not receive prompt notice. Therefore, it is best to contact Uber on the same day as the rideshare accident but only tell them the basic facts.
What Insurance Coverage Can Help Pay for My Losses?
There are up to four or more possible insurance policies that could help pay for your injuries and other losses.
- The personal automobile liability insurance policy of the Uber driver, if that person was at fault in causing the accident.
- The Uber liability policy if the situation meets the requirements for a covered accident. One example of a covered accident is if you were a passenger in an Uber vehicle being driven on a scheduled trip.
- Another driver’s automobile liability insurance policy if that driver caused or contributed to the crash.
- Your automobile liability insurance policy, particularly if you carry uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.
There is no guarantee that these policies will pay for your losses. The coverage will depend on the facts of your situation.
Contact our personal injury lawyers today
What Is the Typical Settlement Amount for an Uber Accident Claim?
There is no typical or average settlement amount for an Uber accident claim. Every car accident claim is different. The amount and types of money damages you can pursue after getting hurt in an Uber accident will depend on the unique facts of your case.
According to the American Bar Association (ABA), these are some of the common kinds of money damages that people seek after a motor vehicle accident:
- The reasonable cost of the medical treatment you needed to treat your injuries. These can include the ambulance, emergency room, doctors, hospital, surgery, physical therapy, and prescription drugs.
- The wages or salary that you did not get paid when you were away from work because of the accident, your injuries, and the recuperation time that you needed. Lost income can include self-employment and other forms of regular income and wages or salary.
- Pain and suffering damages for the physical discomfort and emotional distress you suffered due to the accident and your injuries. This category is in addition to the payment of your medical bills.
- Other intangible losses, like disfigurement from extensive scars and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) from the accident.
These are a few examples of the many types of compensation one might pursue after getting injured in an Uber accident. In addition, your case might involve additional damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact an Uber Accident Attorney to Get Help With Your Claim Today
When a person who gets injured in an Uber accident works with an attorney, the injured person gets to focus on healing rather than having to battle an insurance company and trying to negotiate a fair settlement. You do not have to go through this experience alone.
At Loncar Lyon Jenkins, we have helped thousands of families. So if you were injured or lost a loved one because of someone else’s carelessness, you might have a compensation claim. We are happy to offer a free initial consultation with no obligation. You can call us today to get started.
Call or text 877-239-4878 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form