According to Mayo Clinic, whiplash symptoms generally develop within days of the injury. However, the range of time in which symptoms emerge can be different for any car accident victim.
If you have symptoms of whiplash or other injuries, it’s important to document them and get the necessary treatment as soon as possible. You may be entitled to compensation—and if so, establishing a record of your injuries will be essential in building a strong case. Contact a Dallas car accident lawyer to learn more.
What Is Whiplash?
As Cleveland Clinic explains, whiplash is another term for neck strain. The injury occurs when the head and neck area move suddenly and forcefully, causing unnatural strain on muscles, ligaments, and other vital components in this part of the body.
Symptoms of Whiplash
Common symptoms of whiplash include:
- Stiffness and limited range of motion in your head or neck
- Neck pain
- Pain that spreads from the neck to other areas of your body
- Loss of sensation or tingling in your arms
- Sensitivity to touch in your upper back, neck, or head area
- Muscle spasms
- Visible injuries such as bruising or swelling
- Weakness in your arms and hands
- Blurred vision
The severity and duration of whiplash-related symptoms varies from person to person, but you should not be surprised if you suffer severe or long-lasting symptoms.
For a free legal consultation, call 877-239-4878
How Whiplash and Other Injuries Translate Into Recoverable Damages
Whiplash and other accident-related injuries can cause severe damages, including:
- Pain and suffering: The pain and physical limitations of whiplash often cause immense pain and suffering. An attorney can seek fair compensation for physical pain, lost quality of life, psychological or emotional distress, depression, or any other symptoms of your injury.
- Professional damages: If your whiplash prevents you from working, your professional damages could include lost income, lost promotions, missed performance bonuses, lost benefits, or decreased earning power.
- Medical expenses: A whiplash injury may require emergency transportation, emergency treatment, hospitalization, doctor visits, stabilization devices, and other medical services.
In severe cases of whiplash, victims may need physical rehabilitation indefinitely. Pain and other symptoms can be debilitating, potentially deteriorating to the point where the victim becomes suicidal. A car accident attorney can fight for the entire financial recovery you deserve.
Additional Recoverable Damages Resulting from Car Accidents
Your whiplash-related injuries may only be part of your accident-related damages. Additional damages may include:
- Repair costs for a damaged vehicle
- Replacement costs for a totaled vehicle
- Temporary transportation
- Repair or replacement of personal property, such as clothing, your cell phone, or anything else in your vehicle at the time of the accident
A lawyer from our firm can identify and value every damage resulting from your car accident.
Why Car Accidents Have a High Risk of Causing Whiplash and Other Injuries
Car accidents, particularly rear-end collisions, often cause whiplash. The rapid back-and-forth movement that your head and neck make when another vehicle strikes you from behind can cause severe neck strain.
Even if you don’t suffer whiplash, you may deserve compensation for other injuries, such as:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury
- Internal injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Severe cuts or lacerations
Our lawyers work with medical experts to diagnose your accident-related injuries and then fight for fair compensation on your behalf.
Contact our personal injury lawyers today
I Suffered Whiplash in a Car Accident. What Should I Do Now?
Preserving your health and hiring a lawyer should be your two highest priorities after a car accident that causes whiplash. You can preserve your health and begin building your case by:
- Seeking medical attention: Even if you received medical attention immediately after the collision, you need a thorough diagnosis of your injuries. If you do not have medical images or a written diagnosis of your injuries, consider seeking further medical care. The full symptoms of whiplash may not appear until days after your accident.
- Keeping all records from your medical care: As you receive care, keep all images, photographs, written records, and bills. These could prove to be critical pieces of evidence in your claim or lawsuit.
- Keeping a journal of the aftermath of your accident: Your own account of any physical pain, psychological or emotional distress, lost independence, or other non-economic damages could also be valuable evidence in your case.
- Following your doctor’s treatment plan: Following your doctor’s treatment plan can help you recover as soon as possible and shows that you take your injuries seriously.
Next step: Hiring an attorney with a proven ability to get fair compensation for car accident victims.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Services That a Car Accident Lawyer Can Perform for You
From the moment you hire an attorney from our firm, they will protect your rights. We also deal with insurance companies on your behalf, so they cannot pressure you to make a recorded statement or accept a lowball settlement offer.
Other services include:
- Securing evidence: We can secure video footage, eyewitness testimony, and any other evidence that helps prove fault for your accident.
- Documenting damages: We gather all available documentation to help prevent liable parties from contesting the nature or extent of your accident-related damages.
- Calculating the value of your case: We determine precisely how much compensation you deserve, so we can pursue that amount during settlement negotiations or at trial.
- Negotiating a settlement: We use our extensive negotiating experience and skills to negotiate a fair settlement for you.
- Completing a trial: If the liable parties do not offer a fair settlement, we can take your case to court.
Our firm’s substantial financial resources also allow us to hire experts. These experts often provide information that can help enhance your case, such as a digital reconstruction of your car accident.
Contact Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today for a Free Consultation About Your Whiplash Injuries
At Loncar Lyon Jenkins, we require no upfront fees or out-of-pocket costs—instead, we only receive a fee if we get compensation for you. Our team is ready to help you pursue a fair financial recovery for your whiplash injuries and other damages after your car accident. Contact us today for your free consultation.