While no law says you must hire a lawyer, you may want to contact a car accident lawyer’s team if you have injuries, accumulated medical bills, or are unsure about what a fair settlement looks like.
A lawyer can handle every aspect of the insurance claim process, including helping you if your claim is unfairly denied or challenged.
Signs that You Could Benefit From a Car Accident Lawyer’s Help
Essentially, a car accident lawyer’s main job is to seek the best possible settlement or award for you after a crash. There are many skills and insights that a lawyer will bring to the table to do so.
Therefore, it could be helpful to have a lawyer on your side in almost any car accident case. However, you may be especially aware of the benefits of hiring a lawyer if:
You Have Significant Injuries
After a serious injury, you could face thousands of dollars in medical care costs – and possibly even tens of thousands of dollars. If you had a catastrophic injury – such as a spinal cord injury or a traumatic brain injury – you could require medical attention for the rest of your life. In situations like these, you may want to have a lawyer’s help. They can:
- Review your medical records and your prognosis
- Quantify your past, present, and expected medical costs
- Help you demonstrate the full value of your medical care needs
Another important perspective a lawyer will bring to your case is advice about when to seek a settlement. If you are still learning new information about your condition, a lawyer may recommend that you wait until a doctor can tell you more about your prognosis.
If you accept a settlement before you fully understand the nature of your injuries, you will not be able to ask for more money later on when you require surgeries, physical therapy, and more.
You’re not Sure what a Fair Settlement Offer Looks Like
If an insurance company contacted you today and made an offer, would you know whether or not that offer is fair? It can be hard to know what your settlement amount should be without getting a lawyer’s recommendation. Here’s why:
- A good injury lawyer likely worked on hundreds or thousands of injury cases.
- They know how to make arguments that will prove the value of your case to the insurance company.
- They will know about all forms of compensation you qualify to seek, including for non-financial losses (e.g., pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and more).
A lawyer will consider how the accident and injury affected your life when they seek a settlement for you. They may consider factors such as:
- The seriousness of your injuries
- The cost of your past, present, and future medical care
- How the injury affected your ability to work
- How the injury impacted your daily life, career, and hobbies
You Want Help with the Negotiation Process
Many factors go into determining the value of your case. Then, the insurance company must agree to pay you that amount.
Again, this is where a lawyer’s help often comes in handy. A good lawyer will also be skilled as a negotiator. They will have the back-and-forth with an insurance company, attempting to secure the fair offer you deserve.
If you’re seeking a settlement through a negligent driver’s insurance company, your injury lawyer could even take your case to trial to seek the settlement you need. They may do this when the insurer won’t agree to a fair amount through negotiations.
Your Claim Was Unfairly Denied or Challenged
In some cases, you could face more aggressive tactics from an insurance company. To protect their bottom line, an adjuster may attempt to lower your settlement by claiming that:
- Your injuries weren’t serious.
- Your medical care needs were less expensive than you claim.
- The liable driver was not responsible for the accident.
Any one of these accusations can be frustrating to deal with when you’re facing painful injuries. A lawyer is familiar with such challenges and can defend you against unfair claims.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
Other Ways a Car Accident Lawyer Can Help with Your Case
Of course, there is much more a lawyer can help you with beyond the tasks listed above. They could also:
- Gather strong evidence using expert witness testimony, accident reconstruction data, and more
- Use their knowledge of local and state law to give your case the best chance of success
- File all the necessary legal paperwork for you
- Advise you about important legal decisions through every step of your case
- Support you through a challenging time
A good injury lawyer will stand by your side and speak for your best interests during your recovery from an accident. Whether your injuries were catastrophic or more minor, many victims may benefit from this legal support.
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today for a Free Case Review
Our team is ready to take your call today at no charge. Loncar Lyon Jenkins has experience seeking results for injury victims in Texas, and we are ready to fight for your best results today.