When another driver’s negligence causes a car accident, you can hold them responsible for the accident’s expenses. However, doing so can be a complex legal matter, so if the car accident wasn’t your fault, you should consider getting a lawyer to prove your case. A lawyer from a personal injury law firm can explain the state and local laws that entitle you to compensation.
A lawyer will identify the driver and their insurance company. If the driver does not have insurance, they will pursue damages from your insurer. They will investigate the accident, compile evidence, document its cause, and combine your case’s details. If a lawyer represents you, they will also clarify the statute of limitations that applies to your case and work to meet the state’s filing deadline.
How Can a Lawyer Help Me Recover Damages From the Driver Who Hit Me?
Just because another driver caused your accident does not mean they will compensate you. If they have insurance, their carrier will demand proof of their policyholder’s negligence before negotiating with you. A car accident lawyer in your area can manage your case for you by:
- Obtaining supporting documents and physical evidence
- Handling all verbal, written, and virtual case communications
- Replying promptly to your questions and concerns
- Completing and submitting insurance claim forms
- Clarifying complex legal and insurance terminology
- Providing regular updates on your case’s status
- Negotiating a favorable monetary settlement
- Representing you if your case goes to trial
Having a Houston car accident lawyer means you can focus on your recovery without losing valuable time to build your case or risk filing it too late.
An Attorney Can Build a Strong Case File and Seek a Settlement for You
Parties usually settle car accident cases without going to court based on the strength of the collected evidence. To steer your case in this direction, your lawyer will compile evidence that proves the accident’s causes, contributing causes, and ongoing costs:
- Medical records to establish the costs of your current and ongoing medical care
- Employment records to prove the value of your current and future lost income
- Car accident report to document the details of the accident and support the lawsuit filing deadline
- Dashcam, security, and smartphone footage that captured the accident’s details
- Accident scene photos to prove points of impact, vehicle damage, and road conditions
- Lay witness statements to provide objective information from various points of view
Your lawyer can also consult an accident reconstruction professional and subpoena additional evidence you might find hard to obtain. They will build a comprehensive case and fight for the best possible financial settlement.
A Lawyer Can Accurately Assess Your Recoverable Damages
Calculating financial compensation after a car accident can be complex. A lawyer can objectively assess the monetary value of your damages, including:
- Accident-related medical bills
- Accident-related lost income
- Property damage or destruction
- Diminished property value
- Lasting disability or disfigurement
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If a loved one suffered fatal injuries in a car accident that was not their fault, your lawyer will demand wrongful death damages for your family. With an attorney’s support, you could recover funeral and burial costs, your loved one’s income, and other related damages.
Let a Lawyer Take the Confusion Out of the Statute of Limitations
You have a specific time to file a lawsuit after a car accident. For example, in Texas, you only have two years to file your lawsuit per Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code § 16.003. Complying with the filing deadline is a mandatory part of your case. It can also be a complicated one since:
- It will vary based on the outcome of your case.
- It can change based on the injured party’s age.
- It can change based on the at-fault driver’s actions.
Missing the filing deadline could prevent you from filing your case or lead to immediate dismissal. A car accident lawyer will review the details of your case to determine the correct filing deadline. They will work hard to meet the filing deadline and help you avoid putting your case at risk.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
Can I Work Out a Settlement With the At-Fault Driver on My Own?
You can attempt to settle your case on your own. Doing so can be risky, though. If a lawyer represents you, they can prevent you from receiving a lowball settlement. This typically happens when the insurance company offers to settle your case too quickly and before all its costs are known.
A car accident lawyer will protect you from a speedy offer and bad-faith insurance tactics. The lawyer who represents you can also navigate the back-and-forth settlement negotiation process. They will field each offer, make appropriate counteroffers, and explain their pros and cons.
Your case is not likely to go to court, but your lawyer will prepare evidence and exhibits to support your court case if it does.
What if I Cannot Afford to Hire a Lawyer?
You should have legal support after another driver causes an accident. Most car accident lawyers will review your case for free and accept it without requiring upfront, hourly, or out-of-pocket compensation.
Instead, your lawyer will build and prepare your case on a contingency fee basis, meaning they will accept a percentage of your settlement as their fee. Your lawyer will receive compensation only after they recover awards for you. If your case does not result in a financial award, you won’t owe your lawyer any attorney or legal fees.
Get Help From the Strong Arm Now for a Car Accident That Wasn’t Your Fault
You might want to get a lawyer for a car accident that wasn’t your fault to avoid financial hardship due to someone else’s negligence. If you or someone you love suffered injuries in a recent car accident, our personal injury law firm can help you recover damages.
Contact our client-focused, results-driven team to learn about your compensation options and how Loncar Lyon Jenkins will go to bat for you.