You can pursue a wrongful death claim or lawsuit if a car accident resulted in the death of a loved one. A Dallas wrongful death attorney can explain your legal options and work to hold the liable parties responsible for your loved one’s passing.
Wrongful death cases allow various beneficiaries to get compensation and financial justice following a family member’s death. Yet, these cases can get complex. In a situation like this, an attorney from our firm can pursue your damages and fight for the financial recovery you deserve.
Various Parties Can File a Wrongful Death Claim or Lawsuit
Per Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code Chapter 74, a decedent’s surviving spouse, children, and parents can file a singular wrongful death action to seek damages. If none of these entities act within three calendar months, the decedent’s personal representative can initiate a case.
These laws can get confusing, especially if you’ve never navigated the legal system before. Our team can evaluate the details of your situation and explain your options if a car accident resulted in the death of a loved one.
You Have a Limited Time to File Your Lawsuit
Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 notes that you generally have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Your filing period begins “counting down” from the date of your loved one’s passing, not the date of the motor vehicle accident.
By promptly partnering with a lawyer, you do two things. You first ensure that your case gets filed within the appropriate timeline. You also ensure that your lawyer can gather certain pieces of time-sensitive evidence, such as traffic camera footage.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
You Can Hold a Liable Party Responsible for Your Loved One’s Wrongful Death
Some reasons that wrongful death claimants initiate legal action include:
- Holding negligent parties accountable for a loved one’s death: Many fatal car accidents do not lead to criminal charges against the negligent party. Wrongful death lawsuits can provide a sense of justice following a tragic loss.
- Getting financial coverage for economic damages: Losing a loved one can cause significant financial hardships. We will work to obtain compensation that covers the immediate and long-term financial effects of your loved one’s passing.
- Accounting for grief and other forms of pain and suffering: The non-economic effects of a wrongful death are, in most cases, significant. That’s why the law allows grieving families to seek these losses.
- Getting closure: Getting compensation through a wrongful death claim or lawsuit can provide grieving families with a sense of closure. This allows them to move on from the experience and focus on celebrating their loved one’s life.
Above all else, you should know that you’re not alone after losing a loved one to another party’s negligence. Our car accident lawyers can review the details of the fatal collision, gather evidence, and offer much-needed emotional support.
You Can Pursue Financial Compensation After a Fatal Car Accident
Our lawyers will do everything in their power to secure maximum compensation for your losses. Types of damages in your case may include:
The law allows you to recover compensation for damages that go beyond your financial hardships. These are losses that acknowledge the challenges of losing a loved one. They include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of parental guidance and household benefits
This is not an exhaustive list.
Lost Financial Support
When your loved one passed, you may have lost their income, tips, bonuses, and other employee-generated revenue. We can seek compensation for your losses after reviewing their employment records and other supporting documentation.
The Cost of Anything You Spent Out of Pocket
You may have spent some of your own money before and after your loved one’s passing on:
- Transportation arrangements (such as flying in from out of state)
- Childcare costs
- In-home assistance
Other Financial Expenses
Aside from the damages listed above, additional economic damages in your wrongful death claim or lawsuit may include:
- Funeral expenses
- Burial or cremation costs
- Medical expenses, including palliative care
- Vehicle repair or replacement costs
We are detail-oriented lawyers who will account for every type of harm caused by your loved one’s fatal car accident.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
You Can Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer for a Wrongful Death Case
You may choose our lawyers to handle your case because:
- You may have little tolerance for stress: After losing a loved one, you deserve to spend time with your family and grieve. You shouldn’t have to deal with uncooperative claims adjusters and insurance companies that prioritize profits.
- We have completed many wrongful death cases: Experience is vital when leading a wrongful death case, and our attorneys have helped many clients get justice.
- Our lawyers offer support on a contingency-fee basis: You will not pay our firm any fees unless we obtain compensation for you. Our fees come from your financial recovery, never from your own savings.
- The insurance company’s not on your side: Insurance companies are more concerned with profits than people. They may use your vulnerability to get away with offering a lowball offer or prolonging your case’s progression.
Texas offers legal options for wrongful death claimants in situations just like yours. Whether through negotiations or litigation, you can recover both economic and non-economic damages associated with your loved one’s passing. What’s more, you don’t have to lift a finger throughout the legal process. Our personal injury attorneys handle everything.
Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins Today for a Free Consultation
Our law firm provides experience-based guidance, complete financial support, and compassionate client service. Allow a Texas wrongful death attorney from Loncar Lyon Jenkins to fight for the justice you and your loved ones are entitled to.
During your free initial case review, we can discuss your next steps, options, and obligations.