When a driver fails to stop and help after hitting someone else’s vehicle, they have committed a hit and run. Our Denton car accident lawyer wants to defend your rights if you sustained injuries in such an accident.
A Denton hit and run accident lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins can help you navigate the challenges of seeking compensation when the at-fault driver flees the scene. We can start your case virtually if you cannot come to our office right away.
Damages You Can Collect After a Denton Hit and Run
When we meet with you about your accident, we want to know everything you know about the accident. That includes every way the collision has affected your:
- Physical health
- Mental health
- Career and career prospects
- Personal and social life
- Financial stability
By asking you these questions, we can determine how much your case is worth and ensure we ask the insurance company for an appropriate amount of compensation:
- Did you have to go to a doctor or hospital? Will you need more medical care in the future?
- Do your injuries cause distressing symptoms, such as physical pain, insomnia, loss of range of motion, stiffness, or mood changes? How serious are these symptoms? How long does your doctor expect them to last?
- Was your car damaged badly enough that you had to get it repaired or replaced?
- Have you been temporarily or permanently disabled by your injuries? (Both physical and intellectual injuries could qualify for damages.)
- Are you currently unable to work? How long will it be before you can return to work, if ever? Will you need to retire early or undergo training for a new profession?
Hit and Run Damages for Wrongful Death
The questions we listed above help us determine damages you might have suffered in a hit and run collision. However, if you lost a loved one in a hit and run crash, you could seek different damages in a wrongful death claim:
- As the victim’s surviving relative, you can receive money for funeral expenses, loss of financial support, and loss of companionship.
- If your family member completed a legal action before they died, you cannot receive money for any covered losses, such as medical bills or pain and suffering.
- If your loved one did not complete a legal action prior to their death, you can receive money for both your losses (e.g., funeral costs) and the losses your loved one sustained (e.g., medical bills).
The team at Loncar Lyon Jenkins is deeply sorry for your loss. When you’re ready to proceed, our Denton wrongful death lawyer can manage your case, allowing you to take all the time you need to process your grief and rebuild your life.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
We Can Be Your Hit and Run Accident Lawyer
As soon as the accident occurs, the statutory clock starts on how long you have to start a legal claim against the liable party. Per Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, you must begin your case within two years or forfeit your right to seek compensation via a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
Thus, it is in your best interests to start thinking about your legal options as soon as possible. Our Denton hit and run accident lawyer can help you:
- Determine your case’s merits during a free, confidential phone call.
- Report the accident to your insurer.
- Collect evidence—such as police reports, traffic camera footage, and witness testimony—to strengthen your case.
- If possible, find the hit and run driver and file an insurance claim or lawsuit to recover compensation.
- File a claim with your insurance company if the police cannot identify the at-fault driver.
- Persuade the insurance company that you have asked for a fair amount that it should pay to compensate you for your current and future losses.
- Communicate with all involved parties on your behalf.
- Prepare you for interviews and depositions with insurance adjusters and opposing counsel.
How Much Does a Hit and Run Accident Attorney Cost?
The answer depends on many factors. However, one thing is certain when you work with Loncar Lyon Jenkins—we will never charge you attorney’s fees unless you recover compensation. In addition, you do not have to worry about paying us anything upfront.
What Is a Hit and Run in Denton?
According to Texas Transportation Code § 550.021, drivers have specific responsibilities they must follow after hitting someone else with their car. These responsibilities differ slightly depending on whether the car they hit was occupied.
If someone hits an occupied vehicle, Texas law states that they must:
- Stay as close to the accident scene as possible without blocking traffic.
- Provide the person they hit with their name, address, registration number, and insurance information.
- Help the person they hit get medical care, if necessary.
If someone hits an unoccupied vehicle, they must follow these steps:
- Attempt to find the car’s owner.
- Leave a note in “a conspicuous place” if they cannot find the owner.
- Provide the owner with their name, address, registration number, and insurance information, either in person or via a note.
What Should You Do if You Were in a Hit and Run Accident?
If you were the victim of a hit and run accident, it is critical that you seek medical attention, then report the hit and run to the police. Both of these actions can make it simpler for you to recover compensation later.
Remember that the person who hit you and fled the scene has committed a crime. You have every right to pursue damages after an accident that was not your fault—regardless of whether the hit and run driver is ever found.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
Loncar Lyon Jenkins Can Help You Recover Money After a Hit and Run Crash in Denton
Contact Loncar Lyon Jenkins today so a team member can review your case at no cost or obligation. A Denton hit and run accident lawyer from our law firm would be proud to help you seek fair compensation and hold the at-fault driver responsible for their reckless actions.