A Dallas DUI car accident lawyer could help you go after financial compensation if you were injured or lost a close relative in a motor vehicle collision. Because there can be a criminal case going on at the same time as your personal injury or wrongful death claim, it can be confusing to know what to do to protect your right to pursue monetary damages for your losses.
These cases require a sophisticated understating of the substantive and procedural laws that govern DUI and personal injury claims. A Dallas car accident attorney from Loncar Lyon Jenkins can help you hold the negligent party accountable for the crash that injured you.
You Can File a Personal Injury Lawsuit Against the DUI Driver Even If They Face Criminal Charges for a Dallas DUI
The criminal charges against the intoxicated driver will not put money in your pocket to help pay for your losses. The only way for you to get help with your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses from your injuries is to make a claim against the automobile insurance or file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver who caused the collision.
You do not want to get tricked by the DUI driver’s insurance company. It is not true that you have to wait until the criminal charges go through court to go forward with your civil case against the driver. In fact, if you wait too long, you could lose the right to pursue a claim for compensation.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
Types of Recoverable Damages in Dallas DUI Car Crashes
Every car accident injury case is different, which is why the financial recovery can vary so much. The amount of compensation you can pursue in an injury claim or lawsuit will depend on the unique facts of your situation.
Here are some of the common categories of money damages after getting injured in a Dallas DUI collision:
- Lost wages for the paychecks they missed while recuperating
- Medical bills for the treatment of their wounds
- Pain and suffering for the physical discomfort and emotional distress caused by the crash and their injuries
- Other intangible losses, like disfigurement and loss of enjoyment of life
If your loved one did not survive their wounds from the crash, please accept our deepest condolences. It will not bring a loved one back, but know that the family might be able to pursue additional compensation for their losses in a wrongful death claim.
The Benefits of Working With a Dallas DUI Car Accident Lawyer
When you work with a Dallas attorney who handles injury claims from DUI crashes, you do not have to worry about questionable tactics by the at-fault driver’s insurer. We can protect you from these strategies that claims adjusters sometimes use against people who try to handle their injury claims by themselves without a lawyer:
- A quick settlement offer: When you cannot work because of your wounds and the bills are piling up by the day, it could be tempting to accept a quick settlement offer from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. You could miss out on a great deal of money, however, if you take the early offer because you might have more medical bills down the road. The insurer will not pay those bills if you have already settled.
- A low-ball settlement offer: The claims adjuster does not have to explain to you that the one and only settlement check has to cover everything – your medical bills, lost wages, long-term disability from your wounds, and everything else. After you subtract all those items from the check, you might end up owing money.
- Trying to convince you that you do not need a lawyer: Insurance companies routinely try to talk injured people out of getting their own attorney to handle their claim against the at-fault driver. The insurer wants to keep their unfair advantage over the injured person. Insurance companies hire hundreds of lawyers to represent them and protect their financial interests.
- Asking you to give a recorded statement: The claims adjuster is likely to ask you to give a recorded statement, supposedly to “tell your side of the story.” Recorded statements do not help the injured person. Insurance companies use recorded statements to try to pay you less money by taking your words out of context and using them against you.
- Only compensating you for your medical bills: When you get injured in a DUI crash that was not your fault, you could qualify for compensation from the at-fault driver for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, disfigurement, long-term disability, and other types of losses. The insurer is not going to tell you that, which is another reason to work with a Dallas DUI accident injury lawyer on your claim.
Also, when we handle your injury claim from a Dallas DUI accident, you get more time to rest and recuperate from your car crash wounds. Call Loncar Lyon Jenkins today to learn more.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
DUI and DWI Differences in Texas
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (DOT), it is illegal for a driver under the age of 21 to operate a motor vehicle with any detectable amount of alcohol in their system. An underage driver can get charged with Driving Under the Influence (DUI) if their blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is detectable but below the legal limit.
DUI charges are not available for any other category of drivers in Texas. A person found to have operated a vehicle with a BAC that exceeds the legal limit, whether over or under the age of 21, can face Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) charges.
There Is a Filing Deadline for Taking Legal Action After Getting Injured in a Dallas DUI Collision
Whether you want to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit in Texas, the statute of limitations for these cases is generally 2 years, according to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003. The deadline starts to run on the date of the crash, not on the date of death, so you will want to talk with a DUI car accident lawyer right away.
After the statute of limitations expires, your right to fair compensation from the at-fault party ends. The insurance company will not negotiate with you or pay you a settlement.
How to Find a DUI Accident Attorney in Dallas
You can reach out to Loncar Lyon Jenkins today for a free initial consultation. Getting started can be that easy. Our legal team is ready to stand with you.