Accidents involving street racing cause injuries that are completely preventable. Such collisions are often caused by the reckless actions of participants.
If you were injured in a street racing accident or you tragically lost your loved one in this type of accident, a McAllen street racing accident lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins can provide compassionate legal assistance. We will investigate your claim and discuss your rights during a free consultation. Call 800-777-7777.
What You Need to Know About Street Racing
The consequences of street racing are very real and serious. It involves many dangerous driving behaviors, including:
- Driving at high rates of speed
- Running red lights and other traffic signs and signals
- Weaving in and out of lanes
- Not signaling
- Allowing spectators to stand near the racing area
The following dangers of (and related to) street racing may have affected you or your family:
- Deaths and injuries to drivers, passengers, spectators, or innocent bystanders
- Accidents that involve property damage
- Vandalism and other crimes at racing locations
- Excess wear and tear on public roads
- Retaliatory offenses that may cause further injuries or damage, such as placing nails on the streets where a race is set to occur
The Texas Driver Handbook published by the Texas Department of Public Safety (TxDPS) explains that illegal street racers put other drivers at risk because the races usually occur on public roads. Drivers are often unable to react to common road hazards or other driving situations because of the high speeds involved, so they often cause crashes.
Not all of the people who are harmed in street racing incidents are drivers. Unsuspecting bystanders, pedestrians, uninvolved motorists, or passengers can get hurt. These individuals may have the right to compensation for the damages they have suffered.
For a free legal consultation with a street racing accidents lawyer serving McAllen, call 800-777-7777
Street Racing Laws in Texas Which May Be Relevant to Your Case
Texas Transportation Code § 545.420 makes it illegal to street race in the state. Specifically, it is illegal to do any of the following on a Texas highway:
- Participate in a speed competition or contest
- Drag race
- Participate in a test of driver endurance
- Speed to make a record in a drag race
Someone who engages in street racing can receive a charge of a Class B misdemeanor up to a second-degree felony, depending on the circumstances involved. Texas Penal Code § 12.22 states that if the driver receives as a Class B misdemeanor, they face the following consequences:
- Jail up to 180 days
- A fine up to $2,000
- And more
These penalties increase for repeat violations.
The crime can be charged as a third degree felony if “the driver has been previously convicted,” which can result in years-long incarceration and hefty fines. A racer who causes physical injuries to others may also be liable for the damages they cause.
We can inform you of what the negligent driver might be facing when you call Loncar Lyon Jenkins at 800-777-7777 to discuss your case. Call us today so we can begin working.
McAllen Street Racing Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-777-7777
Potential Damages in Street Racing Claims Which You May Be Able to Collect
Street racing often involves high rates of speed, so if a person is injured, these injuries can be very serious. The accident victim may be able to pursue compensation for all damages caused by the crash, including:
- All medical bills stemming from the accident (including ambulance costs, surgery costs, medication, assistive devices, physical therapy, and follow-up treatment)
- Lost income resulting from the injury
- Costs to repair or replace your vehicle
- Permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
If your loved one died due to a street race, you can discuss with a McAllen street racing accident lawyer about your right to pursue compensation, such as:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of support
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of society
Click to contact our Personal Injury Lawyers today
How We Can Help You Pursue Justice for Your Losses
Our personal injury team is ready to assist you with all aspects of your claim. We can do the following to aid in your case:
- Investigate the accident
- Identify all street racers (and others) who may be liable for your damages
- Collect evidence from the scene (and of the street race)—including social media messages regarding the race, bystander cell phone footage, and footage from nearby businesses or traffic cameras
- Request and review records that show how you were harmed by the accident
- Calculate all of your damages
- Communicate with the insurance company
- Negotiate a fair settlement
- Initiate legal action within the statute of limitations
We will be by your side every step of the way. Contact us today to get started on your case for financial recovery.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call for Your Free Case Evaluation from Our Team
We stand up to insurance companies and defendants who may want to try to minimize your financial recovery. Our McAllen street racing accident lawyers will fight for your fair compensation and demonstrate your right to it through an investigation and analysis of your claim.
We work on a contingency fee-basis, so you pay no upfront costs and your initial consultation is free. If we pursue your claim, we only receive payment for our services if we successfully help you recover compensation. Get started with the process by contacting Loncar Lyon Jenkins today at 800-777-7777.