The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that 795 people died in drowsy driving accidents. However, the National Safety Council (NSC) believes that there are approximately 350% times more of these accidents than are reported. These collisions are particularly dangerous because they often involve head-on crashes that can cause fatalities or serious injuries.
If you were injured in a drowsy driver accident or you tragically lost a loved one in an accident of this nature, an Austin accident caused by driver fatigue lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins is here to help. Our team will guide you through the claims process. Contact us today at (877) 239-4878 to learn more.
How Your Accident May Have Occurred Via the Dangers of Drowsy Driving
Drowsy driving is dangerous. The National Safety Council notes that it:
- Slows driver’s reaction times, reduces their awareness of hazards, and reduces their ability to sustain attention
- Mirrors the same effects as someone with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08%
- Makes a person three times more likely to be in a motor vehicle accident
- May cause a driver to experience microsleep, which is a short, involuntary period of inattention—often lasting only a few seconds (but long enough to cause an accident)
Too many drivers consistently drive while feeling drowsy or fall asleep while driving.
While drowsy driving accidents can occur at any time, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that these accidents are more likely to occur:
- Between midnight and 6 a.m. or in the late afternoon
- On rural roads or highways
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
The At-Fault Driver May Have Violated Best Practices Regarding Drowsy Driving
The Texas Driver Handbook published by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) lays out the following best practices regarding drowsy driving, which include:
- Being aware of the possibility of “night highway hypnosis,” which is defined as a condition of drowsiness or unawareness caused by reduced activity combined with steady sounds of the engine, tire hum, or wind.
- Stopping often to fight the effects of drowsy driving (at least every two hours or 100 miles)
- Avoiding driving more than eight hours a day
- Looking at road signs and shifting the eyes while driving
A Truck Driver Could Have Been Driving While Drowsy
Truck drivers are susceptible to drowsy driving, because they spend so many hours on the road. The nature of their work may encourage them to cut corners to meet tight deadlines and get paid faster. If you believe a truck driver was fatigued at the time of your accident and may have violated hours of service regulations, speak to an Austin accident caused by driver fatigue lawyer who can investigate your claim.
877-239-4878Available 24/7 | 356 Days | se habla español
We Will Determine How Your Drowsy Driving Accident Occurred
Drowsy and fatigued driving may be caused by a number of factors, including:
- Late shifts at work
- Long shifts at work
- Time out at bars or socializing
- A new baby at home
- Sleep conditions
- Interrupted sleep
- Long commutes
- Technology’s interference on sleep
Drivers may also take drugs, alcohol, or over-the-counter medications that may cause them to get drowsy behind the wheel.
Injuries You May Have Suffered in Your Accident Caused By Driver Fatigue
Drowsy driving can cause head-on collisions when the driver falls asleep, or side-impact collisions when the driver drifts into another lane. Some injuries associated with these types of accidents include:
- Head injuries
- Brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
Regardless of your accident-related losses, a lawyer can help you seek a fair financial award to compensate you.
Potential Damages You May Be Able to Pursue After a Fatigued Driving Crash
If you were injured in an accident caused by a drowsy driver, you may be entitled to compensation for the costs to repair or replace your vehicle. Additionally, you may be compensated for any medical expenses you incurred because of the accident. These can include:
- Ambulance costs
- Emergency room visits
- Imaging tests
- Lab tests
- Physical therapy
- Follow-up treatment
- Assistive devices
If you missed work because of your injuries or were left permanently disabled, you may also be able to recover compensation for these economic losses. You can also be compensated for your pain and suffering, though it is often difficult to quantify these damages. However, a lawyer will work to do so. Our firm handles cases involving intangible losses and can help you, too.
If you lost a loved one in a fatigued driver crash, you may be able to recover compensation for the expenses you incurred as a result of your family member’s death—such as burial and funeral expenses. You may also be able to recover compensation for loss of inheritance and society.
Contact us at (877) 239-4878 to learn about the potential value of your claim.
How Loncar Lyon Jenkins Can Help You Fight For Justice
Our personal injury lawyers can help you with your claim by:
Investigating Your Accident
Our team will thoroughly investigate your claim and gather evidence to establish that fatigued driving played a part. We will also prove that you are entitled to compensation. Evidence helpful to your case may include:
- Statements on the accident report
- Eyewitness testimony
- No evidence of skid marks or braking in the moments leading up to the accident
- Alcohol or pill bottles in the other driver’s vehicle
- Pictures and videos of the accident scene
- Employment records that indicate impulsiveness or previous accidents with company vehicles, past violation of company regulations, etc.
- Traffic citations
Handling Your Claim
Our personal injury team will handle communication with the insurance company and prepare a demand package requesting compensation for fair damages.
Advising You Of Your Rights
We will be with you every step of the way, advising you of your rights and making recommendations about the best course of action. We can explain whether a settlement offer is fair, given the particular details of your case. We can also explain other options you may have, such as filing a lawsuit against the negligent driver.
Contact Our Personal Injury Team Today For Your Free Case Evaluation
If you were injured by a fatigued driver or a drowsy driver caused your collision, an Austin accident caused by driver fatigue lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins can assist you with your claim. We work on a contingency-fee-basis and do not charge any fees unless we receive compensation on your behalf.
Contact us at (877) 239-4878 to get started on your case.