In 2018, there were 1,243 fatal accidents caused by driving the wrong way on a one-way road or on the wrong side of the road, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III). Many wrong-way accidents have catastrophic consequences, including loss of life and serious injuries.
If you or a loved one was injured in an avoidable wrong-way accident, a Lubbock wrong way accident lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins may be able to help. We can investigate your claim and help establish why the accident occurred. Contact us today at 800-777-7777 to learn more about filing a claim for compensation.
Dangers of Wrong-Way Driving
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, even though wrong-way driving accidents do not make up a large portion of traffic accidents each year, these accidents continue to be a problem because they frequently result in death or serious injury.
These accidents may be more likely to cause severe injury or death because they often involve serious factors, such as:
- High speeds
- Impaired drivers
- Hit and run incidents
Furthermore, these accidents often result in head-on collisions that can result in:
- Traumatic head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Complex fractures
- Internal organ damage
For a free legal consultation with a wrong way accidents lawyer serving Lubbock, call 800-777-7777
Common Causes of Wrong-Way Driving Accidents
There are several potential causes of wrong-way driving accidents, including:
Alcohol or Drugs
The Texas Department of Transportation’s 2014 Assessment of the Effectiveness of Wrong Way Driving Countermeasures and Mitigation Methods cited several research studies that found a strong correlation between alcohol consumption and wrong-way driving accidents.
Drivers who are impaired by drugs or alcohol may be impacted in a variety of ways, including:
- Impaired judgment that affects decision-making
- Decreased inhibitions that influence a person to engage in riskier behaviors
- Delayed reactions, making it take longer to recognize danger and respond to it
- Blurred vision
Drivers who are texting while driving, talking on a phone, talking to passengers, or engaging in other distracted behaviors may not be paying attention to road signs that indicate one-way roads.
Some wrong-way driving accidents are caused when a driver is passing another driver and hits the driver traveling in the opposite direction head-on. Aggressive drivers may weave in and out of traffic while not using turn signals, placing other motorists at risk because of their reckless driving.
Drowsy driving can also result in wrong-way driving accidents as drivers fall asleep or are not thinking clearly because of sleep deprivation.
Drivers Unfamiliar With the Area
Some drivers who cause wrong-way accidents are not familiar with the area and may drive in the wrong direction. When roads lack proper signage, unsuspecting drivers may find themselves on the wrong side of the road.
Lubbock Wrong Way Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-777-7777
How We May Be Able To Help With Wrong-Way Driving Claims
If you were injured in a wrong-way driving accident, you have the legal burden of proof as the plaintiff in the case. Our lawyers may be able to help you establish your right to compensation by helping you prove the following legal elements:
Legal Duty of Care
You must be able to prove that the defendant had a legal duty of care to you. Licensed drivers are expected to drive in a safe manner and obey all traffic rules. If they do not uphold this legal duty, you may be entitled to compensation for the injuries you sustain.
Our lawyers can help you identify all potentially liable parties. If poor road design contributed to your accident, we can determine if you may have a viable claim against the city or county or a third party responsible for its maintenance.
Breach of Duty
Once we establish what the legal duty of care was, our lawyers may work to prove how the defendant breached it. We can help gather evidence to establish the defendant’s negligence through the following processes:
- Reviewing the accident report and the statements from the responding law enforcement officer that show the other driver was cited or why the law enforcement officer believes the accident happened
- Interviewing eyewitnesses who observed the events leading up to the accident
- Reviewing photographs from the scene of the accident
- Requesting videos from nearby businesses, dash cams, and red light cameras
- Requesting electronic data from the other vehicle that shows the speed and braking activity near the time of the accident
- Subpoenaing cell phone records that may show the driver was on the phone at the time of the accident
- Hiring accident reconstruction experts to help establish how the accident occurred
- Using the discovery process to obtain additional evidence that shows why the wrong-way accident occurred and to get the defendant to make admissions
Our team may be able to help collect compelling evidence to establish your claim.
Lastly, you will need to be able to show that you suffered damages as a result of the wrong-way collision. You may be able to recover compensation for the following types of damages:
- The cost to repair or replace your vehicle and other personal property damaged in the accident
- Past and future medical expenses, including ambulance fees, hospital costs, follow-up care, prescription medications, and travel to and from medical appointments
- Lost wages for the days you were unable to work due to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering damages, including physical pain and mental anguish
- Punitive damages if the accident was caused by the defendant’s gross negligence or wanton disregard for the safety of others
A Lubbock wrong way accident lawyer from our team may be able to collect evidence to establish the full extent of your damages. Contact us today at 800-777-7777 to get started on your claim.
Click to contact our Personal Injury Lawyers today
Contact Our Team Today for Help
If you or a loved one was injured in a wrong-way accident, a Lubbock wrong way accident lawyer from Loncar Lyon Jenkins may be able to help. Our firm represents more than 7,000 clients every year, which has allowed us to develop the skill and knowledge necessary to advance our clients’ claims. We work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning we are paid no attorney fees unless and until we are able to recover compensation on your behalf. Call us today at 800-777-7777 to learn more about how we may be able to help.